Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which avatar to use...
They both suck get a new one 11 44.00%
South Park 10 40.00%
Eric Molina 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Cigar Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Fuente Fuente Opus X is easily the best cigar commercially available. I don't smoke anymore but I have smoked thousands of cigars and nothing else comes close with respect to construction, draw, flavor. Magnificent smoke. I don't know if they are any more available now, they used to be pretty scarce.

[/ QUOTE ]

Opus X are certainly great cigars, but very over-hyped. They may be worth the MSRP on them, but you can find many cigars which are very similar for a much more reasonable price.

Opus X are available at pretty much any decent tobaconnist year round. Dealing with Fuente (the manufacturer) isn't usually a treat for smaller shops, but any decent sized shop will have plenty of Fuente product on the shelves.

The Fuente Anejos are even more rare/expensive than the Opus, and arguably a better smoke. They usually only come out near New Years and Father's Day, and usually sell out of any retailer within a matter of hours, regardless of the price.

If you're looking for a great cigar, with flawless construction, and a good reputation, the Opus X is a great place to look for it. But, pretty much anything in the Fuente line is going to have similar quality, and probably a much better price. Personally I prefer the Hemingways to the Opus, simply because there isn't as much of a nicotine-punch in them.

Keep in mind, Fuente is just one of several GREAT cigar manufacturers that larger shops will carry. Punch, Cohiba, Carlos Torano, La Aurora, Romeo Y Julieta, Macanudo, etc, etc are all great larger manufacturers.

Lately though I've been focused on some of the more boutique cigar brands. Brands like Padilla, Tatuaje, Rocky Patel, are much smaller operations, but put out absolutely fantastic products.

The Acid line, mentioned earlier in this thread is a very popular line of infused cigars, made by Drew Estate. They're advertised more as an "entry" type cigar, and definitely marketed towards young people, but some of them are very good smokes as well. Although the older, more traditional, smokers may look down on you for liking them, they do have some very good cigars. My personal favorite infused cigar is the "Java" (made by Drew Estate for Rocky Patel).

Couple things I'd like to touch on from the original poster... throw out the crap sponge that comes with your humidor. It's garbage. Get something from your local shop that is an ACTIVE humidification system. Something that can release and absorb moisture. Products like "the puck", or humidor gel, or humidity beads, are all very cheap and are MUCH more effective at maintaining your humidity level. Additionally, when "curing" your humidor, it's probably best not to wipe down the spanish cedar on the inside with water. Applying that much moisture directly to your humidor could actually warp the wood inside it. If you've got the patience to wait a couple of days, just set a small bowl of distilled water inside of your humidor... the wood will absorb what it needs without ending up with a puddle at the bottom of your humidor or warping.

My current list:
- Hemingways... my favorites. Always on hand.
- CAO Brazilia/Italia... nice change of pace.
- Cusano 18 (double Connecticut)... my go-to for a milder smoke. Perfect for an inexperienced smoker.
- Comacho Corojo
- La Aurora (Preferido or C Ananos)
- Rocky Patel Edge (or Edge Lite)

Also, for those of you lucky enough to be going to Vegas in the near future... make sure to check out the Casa Fuente. I haven't been there yet, but as a Fuente slappy, it sounds like paradise. All the Anejos and Opus X you could want, along with their own private blend you can only get from Fuente's ONLY retail location on the planet. Expect to pay a premium (obviously... it's on the strip), but keep in mind that a portion of Casa Fuente's profits go to help the Cigar Family's charities, so you can feel good about yourself while you're dropping $500+ on something you're going to light on fire.

Whew... can you tell I'm passionate about my cigars yet. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2007, 06:56 PM

Carlos Tarrano are the best daily smokers I've found.

If you're in vegas you have to stop by the Pyute smoke shop... BEST prices on the west coast.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:27 PM

I'll also put in a kind word for the Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur, an excellent cigar at any price.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My current list:
- Hemingways... my favorites. Always on hand.
- CAO Brazilia/Italia... nice change of pace.
- Cusano 18 (double Connecticut)... my go-to for a milder smoke. Perfect for an inexperienced smoker.
- Comacho Corojo
- La Aurora (Preferido or C Ananos)
- Rocky Patel Edge (or Edge Lite)

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]
Arturo Fuente Hemingway and Don Carlos #2, and a nice little $4 cigar by Cusano called the 18, which is certainly the best value and might be the most consistently smooth, easy-smoking cigar I've ever had.

[/ QUOTE ]
This man knows what he's talking about.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:06 PM

Default do you inhale?

...i dont, sorta. i take a small draw, followed by a very long mouth filling draw while at the same time inhaling, through my nose, the smoke from the tip of the cigar created by the original small draw. sounds complicated but i feel it gives me full sensory enjoyment of each puff. and yes ancardo i am a horrible wretched human being for thinking this through and enjoying it so, so much. dont even ask how i drink wine.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:46 PM

Default Re: do you inhale?

[ QUOTE ]
dont even ask how i drink wine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not with your mouth?
Old 02-06-2007, 10:53 PM

I agree, I just found my notes, and Ive had them all except teh rockey patel, I gave them all between a 6 and a 9, so good stuff there. Personally, I think opus X, adn the padron aniverseries (26 and 64) are really over-rated, they are kind fo harsh, even thogh they burn good. I just got a call from a friend, and Im going out, but tommorow, Ill post on how to spot fake cubans, I have ordered from 2 internet sites, 1 good, one bad, but I got a guy in jamaica that ships them up to me now, he told me everythign too look for.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll also put in a kind word for the Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur, an excellent cigar at any price.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've mentioned these in other threads, but the HdM Double Maduro Rothschild is really an excellent cigar for its price ($2-$3). Great flavor for those who like maduro wrappers.

-McGee
Old 02-07-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I think opus X, adn the padron aniverseries (26 and 64) are really over-rated, they are kind fo harsh, even thogh they burn good.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this. I've smoked Fuentes for ten years and had heard all about the Opus X before I finally tried one about a year ago. (I used to live in Dallas, and apparently they weren't available west of the Mississippi for quite a while.) All I can say is... meh. It was fine, but I much prefer the Hemingways. And I was completely underwhelmed by the Padron 26 that I had -- a $20+ cigar and I perhaps smoked half of it. It certainly wasn't a matter of bad construction or anything, it just didn't match my taste.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I think opus X, adn the padron aniverseries (26 and 64) are really over-rated, they are kind fo harsh, even thogh they burn good.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this. I've smoked Fuentes for ten years and had heard all about the Opus X before I finally tried one about a year ago. (I used to live in Dallas, and apparently they weren't available west of the Mississippi for quite a while.) All I can say is... meh. It was fine, but I much prefer the Hemingways. And I was completely underwhelmed by the Padron 26 that I had -- a $20+ cigar and I perhaps smoked half of it. It certainly wasn't a matter of bad construction or anything, it just didn't match my taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to agree with you guys on the Padrons burning a little harsh. The first quarter is usually very pleasant, followed by a mediocre finish. I haven't tried the Opus X yet but I may not if you are comparing it to the Padron. Tonight I'll probably smoke an Acid I bought because I hadn't smoked one in some time, then I'll go to the store and pick up something else.