Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 03:43 AM

Default Re: Theory post: How do I increase my Win$WSF?

[ QUOTE ]
You don't really have to check all the hands in the session... it would be great to do that, but in the real world is difficult. However don't take the advice these people are giving you lightly. I don't post often here, but I read a lot, and these players are showing you how they think and play. If they say "do not worry" so vehemently, that's something.

Now, if you want a leak, I can pinpoint that you are not taking your 2k sessions seriously. You need to get in there after the session and as Requin said, give an overwhole to your thought process.

You don't have to replay all 2k hands, but all of those where you felt lost, or where you think you might have done something different, like value betting a certain amount on the river. Those are all important things to check.

[/ QUOTE ]

The issue isn't that I'm not reviewing my hands. Of course I do. Everyone does.

The issue is I'm trying to find out what other FACTORS can be contributing to my winrate. I'm trying to find out my bad habits when I play, and stats is one way to shed some light on that. I think even you would agree that checking individual sessions will not necessarily tell you about all the bad habits you're making, ESPECIALLY when you don't even know in what areas your bad habits lie. A lot of people are missing the point here.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Whats so funny is that i realized i have no idea what my % is for this stat, yet OP is so worried if it is a few % too low or high, lol

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you're proud of your ignorance. I'm not so much worried about it as I am using it as a possible indicator for leaks in my game. Good for you if that stat is a complete non-issue for you. As for me, I like to take advice from high stake players like Luegofuego (a 10/20 regular) who made a big deal out of win$wsf. Read his The Well thread in the small stakes forum.

I'm a little taken back by how little value you guys place on statistics. You guys seem to throw around the word "variance" like some kind of universal get-out-of-jail-free card. Bad winrate? Variance! Low aggression? Variance! High vpip? Variance! Folds BB to steal too often? Variance! Not taking down enough pots when you see the flop? VARIANCE!!!

I really hope for all your sake that you consider using stats as a tool to improve your game. It's right there in front of you! Why not use it? Sure, it could be "variance," and of course it changes in time depending on how your game evolves. But could it also be likely that you simply have A LEAK? Why not be more critical of yourself instead of dismissing possible statistical indicators as VARIANCE? Of course don't depend on it. Still evaluate your big hands, questionable plays, marginal situations, etc. But I think stats is an excellent supplement.

Despite this thread being filled with completely useless posts except for a couple of posters, I saw some helpful advice. In the future, I'll be putting together a post about taking down pots and recognizing weakness to hopefully spark a worthwhile discussion on this issue.

What I find funny is that a lot of you guys seem to take ptbb/100 as the most valuable stat when it is arguable one most subject to VARIANCE.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Chaser man be happy, you've only got 17 posts and your first reply was from KRANTZ! It doesnt get much better than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol inverted. Doublecheck if he's actually KRANTZ...

Of course I'm happy with my game. I have a solid winrate. But that doesn't mean I should stop trying to improve.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:15 AM

just read posts and think about the game for yourself. just cause aba (omg) says 26/20 is an optimal vpip/pfr doesn't mean its the best style for you. stats are a way to gauge how you play relative to other people, not how you should play. saying you are tyring to get this stat to be what someone else told you it should be shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the methodology in improving at this game, IMO. stats can be useful for gaining additional insight into another player's hand ranges, but if you are determining optimal postflop play off some dumb stat that someone else said it should be who probably plays entirely different limits than you against entirely different opponents with an entirely different gameplan, well then youre probably going about it the wrong way.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:34 AM

Limp or minraise preflop and raise allin on flop, turn or river. Getting 60% should be easy this way!
Old 10-27-2007, 04:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
just read posts and think about the game for yourself. just cause aba (omg) says 26/20 is an optimal vpip/pfr doesn't mean its the best style for you. stats are a way to gauge how you play relative to other people, not how you should play. saying you are tyring to get this stat to be what someone else told you it should be shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the methodology in improving at this game, IMO. stats can be useful for gaining additional insight into another player's hand ranges, but if you are determining optimal postflop play off some dumb stat that someone else said it should be who probably plays entirely different limits than you against entirely different opponents with an entirely different gameplan, well then youre probably going about it the wrong way.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not at all what I use stats for. Reread some of my posts. Nowhere did I say I try to match my stats to a specific value. I agree with you that it's a terrible way to go.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Only stat that matters is wwsf.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-27-2007, 05:33 AM

float more, double barrel more, stab more, bluff and semi bluff more, take more marginal hands to showdown rather than mucking, win more pots. remember you don't have to win every pot but try to take all the ones where no1 is interested
Old 10-29-2007, 05:38 PM

heh, some pretty sweet posting by chaser in this thread and some pretty arrogant and silly posting by others. stats DO matter, stats CAN do an excellent job of pinpointing leaks, and variance probably has [censored] all to do with ur crappy wwsf which is probably one of the meaningful stats that will converge fastest. ppl just like to throw around moronic blanket statements that make them look smart that doesnt really apply like "most people dont understand the true extent of variance". stats [censored] ROCK.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and variance probably has [censored] all to do with ur crappy wwsf which is probably one of the meaningful stats that will converge fastest.

[/ QUOTE ]
How many hands does it take before this stats starts to be meaningfull? Thinking of having it in my HUD.