Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 12:36 PM

Default Re: How do you remember everything? (swing questions)

The reason people suggest that there is less margin for error with the lob wedge is because we're talking about players who CAN'T make consistent and solid contact.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason people suggest that there is less margin for error with the lob wedge is because we're talking about players who CAN'T make consistent and solid contact.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize this and that's why I wanted to know quids' handicap and why I said if one can make consistent contact to go with higher lofted shots around the greens.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize this and that's why I wanted to know quids' handicap and why I said if one can make consistent contact to go with higher lofted shots around the greens.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know what my handicap is, its up there though. I can make consistent contact w/ my irons, in fact Im pretty damn good with them. I find the pitching wedge much more controllable though, well maybe not controlable, but its a lot less work to get the ball to the hole

edit: what I will probably end up doing, is adjusting between my lob and my pitching wedge based on the angle of where Im comming in at the pin. IE, if the pin is right at the front of the green, and Im coming straight at it, Im probabyl going to use my lob wedge so I can kill the ball when it lands, and I wont have to wrry about it rolling all the way across the green, if the pin is towards the back, then Ill use the PW, so I can "putt" it to the hole. Does this sound ok?
Old 08-21-2007, 07:45 PM

guids,

You say you'd use a PW for longer distances. Not sure if you do this or not, but seriously consider using a 7 or 8-iron or even something lower than that if you aren't already. More margin for error and it is a more easily repeatable stroke. My current club of choice is the 8-iron, but growing up I used a 5-iron or 7-iron.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also think some people overuse lob-type wedges because lobbing the ball way up in the air a la Phil is a lot sexier than a bump-and-run.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kind of tend toward the opposite thinking. I think the bump and run shots are more sexy in a classier way so I end up trying to bounce in pitch shots close from anywhere within 80 yards of the green instead of hitting a lofted wedge.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
guids,

You say you'd use a PW for longer distances. Not sure if you do this or not, but seriously consider using a 7 or 8-iron or even something lower than that if you aren't already. More margin for error and it is a more easily repeatable stroke. My current club of choice is the 8-iron, but growing up I used a 5-iron or 7-iron.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ill give this a try next week. honestly enough, I really suprised myself at how good I got at chipping so quickly, I also have spent about 20 hours in the last 5 days practicing, and my cousin taught me a lot when I was hanging out w/ him. He put up a sheet of ply wood about 3 feet behind me, and put a bucket about 30 feet on the other side of the yard and basically said, get the ball in the bucket but dont touch the board, I got the hang of it quick.

I just need something like that for my driver and woods.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He put up a sheet of ply wood about 3 feet behind me, and put a bucket about 30 feet on the other side of the yard and basically said, get the ball in the bucket but dont touch the board, I got the hang of it quick.

I just need something like that for my driver and woods.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a club and lay it on the ground directly behind the ball, pointing at your target.
Now take the sheet of plywood, and place it parallel to the club, 6" outside the line (standing vertically). Remove the club. Now hit the ball in the fairway.
You might want to wear safety goggle till you get the hang of it! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2007, 10:09 PM

You can wear your distances on your wrist like quarterbacks with their plays.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know what my handicap is, its up there though. I can make consistent contact w/ my irons, in fact Im pretty damn good with them. I find the pitching wedge much more controllable though, well maybe not controlable, but its a lot less work to get the ball to the hole

edit: what I will probably end up doing, is adjusting between my lob and my pitching wedge based on the angle of where Im comming in at the pin. IE, if the pin is right at the front of the green, and Im coming straight at it, Im probabyl going to use my lob wedge so I can kill the ball when it lands, and I wont have to wrry about it rolling all the way across the green, if the pin is towards the back, then Ill use the PW, so I can "putt" it to the hole. Does this sound ok?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this sounds perfect.