Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2007, 12:17 PM

Default $6.50 blind battle

Unsure about preflop, turn and river. Preflop is difficult because of 15 bb stack size and no antes. With antes I'd probably just push. Turn was to keep the pot small, river is for value. I was trying to 8-table for the first time and didn't have reads.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB (t2655)
Hero (t3135)
UTG (t4490)
MP (t1930)
Button (t1290)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t400) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t300</font>, SB calls t300.

Turn: (t1000) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (t1000) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t800</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t2200
Old 01-06-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Re: $6.50 blind battle

I'm shoving the turn here. You're way ahead at that point, the pot is big enough to take down, and you have plenty of fold equity.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:41 PM

I like to shove the turn
call the river raise. I dont usually trust the c/r on the river because when he checks for the first time there is sooo much weakness and after how you played the turn unless he has a good read on you i dont think he is expecting a bet that often. It is probably the small size of the bet that got him to min raise you on the river, so i would usually call that
Old 01-06-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like to shove the turn
call the river raise. I dont usually trust the c/r on the river because when he checks for the first time there is sooo much weakness and after how you played the turn unless he has a good read on you i dont think he is expecting a bet that often. It is probably the small size of the bet that got him to min raise you on the river, so i would usually call that

[/ QUOTE ]

You might be right about the river, it's a 6.50 and maybe I give these plays too much credit.

I'm surprised that two have now said to push the turn. The flop was so dry, and there isn't much he can have other than a 10 or a 2. Theres 1000 in the pot, I have around 2800, villain has around 2300. Should I really be risking almost my whole stack to take down this pot? There is the unlikely diamond draw, but other than that I don't think a free card is that terrible here. For one thing, if he has a 2 I don't go broke.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:23 PM

The reason you push the turn is because you don't want another diamond to fall on the river. You win sng's by taking down big pots like this, not by letting them go to showdown.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:59 PM

I am not a fan of shoving this on the turn with second pair.

As Played I check behind on the river. What hands do you beat that will call on the river ??
You should have raised this PF to t600. This would have made the hand so much easier to play.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not a fan of shoving this on the turn with second pair.

As Played I check behind on the river. What hands do you beat that will call on the river ??
You should have raised this PF to t600. This would have made the hand so much easier to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

When he called the flop I assume it had to be a deuce or a ten. I would expect a bet from either a deuce or a Q on the river, so the only hands left were weaker tens, which would pay off a small bet.

I don't think going to 600 pre makes the hand any easier to play in the long run. At a 6.50 you'll get called by all kinds of crap and then you're going to airball the flop most of the time and have to deal with trying to take down a big pot (1200) with no hand. It would have made it easier in this specific hand, but only because it was such a good flop for my hand.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:49 PM

I like a shove preflop here.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like a shove preflop here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-06-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think going to 600 pre makes the hand any easier to play in the long run. At a 6.50 you'll get called by all kinds of crap and then you're going to airball the flop most of the time and have to deal with trying to take down a big pot (1200) with no hand. It would have made it easier in this specific hand, but only because it was such a good flop for my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This why you raise this Pre Flop, he will call with all kinds of crap. You have position Post Flop. Depending on the nature of the flop and the action facing you you will be left with easy decisions. Check behind, Shove or Fold.

If you cannot handle playing Post Flop and you think that Villian will call loose then GKA option is better. But not raising this spot in a 6.50 is losing you a lot of $$'s.

Personally I prefer a value raise here when the effective Blinds are 12BB's here.