Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2006, 07:49 PM

Default deepstack 25-50 hand vs jcmoussa

25-50 at foxwoods. jc has about 17k and i cover. he seems very good but is on the tighter side whereas i am on the laggy side.

hes been wanting to repop me preflop for some time now and i feared that if i folded it would open the door for him to do it regularly, forcing me to tighten up and play less profitably. i thought there was a good chance he was light. i also thought because were so deepstacked and i dont mind coinflipping for stacks on a draw it would be ok. in hindsight however, because were so deepstacked maybe calling with a suited ace preflop is a bad idea? i cant imagine getting all the money in on a coinflip with these stacks. all that will end up happening is ill be calling bets OOP with a draw against a player who reads hands well.

i openraise Ac8c from MP2 to 200, jc repops to 600 in CO, folds to me i call.

flop is QJ3r

i check, he checks

turn is an A

i check, he bets 800, i call

river is a J

i check, he bets $1600

what % of the time should i call this? hows the hand up to this point?
Old 11-09-2006, 07:56 PM

Default Re: deepstack 25-50 hand vs jcmoussa

There are so many things about this post I don't get:

[ QUOTE ]
hes been wanting to repop me preflop for some time now and i feared that if i folded it would open the door for him to do it regularly, forcing me to tighten up and play less profitably.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's been WANTING to 3-bet you? That means he hasn't pounded on you yet, and why on earth would you folding ONE hand (a really bad one in terms of calling) make you assume he's gonna go all crazy on you? Just fold and see what develops in future hands instead, then you'll know for sure.

Next:

[ QUOTE ]
and i dont mind coinflipping for stacks on a draw it would be ok

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
i cant imagine getting all the money in on a coinflip with these stacks

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds VERY contradictory.

As played, the turn call is alright, and I'd fold the river.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As played, the turn call is alright, and I'd fold the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-09-2006, 08:21 PM

I'd lead the turn for 800 rather than ch/c it. I think it makes the hand easier. As played I'd call the river. I don't think your flop ch and turn call makes him 100% certain he can't get a river fold out of you.

Like you said though, why play the sooted A if you don't try to take it down when you connect.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
25-50 at foxwoods. jc has about 17k and i cover. he seems very good but is on the tighter side whereas i am on the laggy side.

hes been wanting to repop me preflop for some time now and i feared that if i folded it would open the door for him to do it regularly, forcing me to tighten up and play less profitably. i thought there was a good chance he was light. i also thought because were so deepstacked and i dont mind coinflipping for stacks on a draw it would be ok. in hindsight however, because were so deepstacked maybe calling with a suited ace preflop is a bad idea? i cant imagine getting all the money in on a coinflip with these stacks. all that will end up happening is ill be calling bets OOP with a draw against a player who reads hands well.

i openraise Ac8c from MP2 to 200, jc repops to 600 in CO, folds to me i call.

flop is QJ3r

i check, he checks

turn is an A

i check, he bets 800, i call

river is a J

i check, he bets $1600

what % of the time should i call this? hows the hand up to this point?

[/ QUOTE ]

With your hand and against this opponent I think a reraise/fold > calling preflop.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd lead the turn for 800 rather than ch/c it. I think it makes the hand easier. As played I'd call the river. I don't think your flop ch and turn call makes him 100% certain he can't get a river fold out of you.

Like you said though, why play the sooted A if you don't try to take it down when you connect.

[/ QUOTE ]

your logic sucks. making a bad play to make the hand "easier" is dumb. and why would he "try to take it down" when he hits his ace? you make it sound like we cant win a poker hand at showdown.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds VERY contradictory.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was intentionally pointing out that my logic may be incorrect and upon writing this post thought it may be more correct to call with suited aces in these situations with a shortstack then with a deepstack.

also, i didnt think he was going to go all crazy on me obviously, and if he was that would be a good thing for me. up until this point i didnt think he was 3betting me as often as he should have, and i didnt want folding this one time to induce him into playing closer to what i thought was correct against me.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:44 PM

Just fold preflop.

Postflop, I agree with everyone else, turn call is fine, fold river.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:31 PM

Here's what I said -

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
your logic sucks. making a bad play to make the hand "easier" is dumb. and why would he "try to take it down" when he hits his ace? you make it sound like we cant win a poker hand at showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggested taking the lead when he hit TP after the flop was ch'd. Disagreeing is fine, but why act like a jerk and twist it around by saying it's something way more than that.

When I disagree with someone I stick my neck out and, whether it's right or not, offer my alternative play. You should try it.

Why would leading the A on the turn and possibly taking it down with a bet such a bad play? Let's hear it.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's what I said -

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggested taking the lead when he hit TP after the flop was ch'd. Disagreeing is fine, but why act like a jerk and twist it around by saying it's something way more than that.

When I disagree with someone I stick my neck out and, whether it's right or not, offer my alternative play. You should try it.

Why would leading the A on the turn and possibly taking it down with a bet such a bad play? Let's hear it.

[/ QUOTE ]

your logic is bad/wrong and you are approaching poker in a bad/wrong way. what range of hands do you put villain on and what does betting accomplish against each hand in that range?