Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2006, 01:20 PM

Default 25/50 hand against the gift of gab

5 handed at FTP.
Gift of gab has been playing pretty tight, but has raised the last five times when I have been on BB and he on BTN. He has won all those 5 pots either preflop or postflop by betting me out of the pot.

I have been playing loose-agressive for the about 50 hands I have been in the table. I have just picked up pots either by betting them on flop or reraising preflop. I havent gone to showdown even once during the session.

I have $7700 and he covers.
He makes the standard open raise to $175 from button SB folds and I reraise to $550 with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] from BB he calls.

Flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I bet out $1100 and he calls.
Turn is A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I bet out $3300 planning to call for the rest ~$2700 if he raises.

Any thoughts about the hand, I'm not sure if I played any streets correctly.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:39 PM

Default Re: 25/50 hand against the gift of gab

As played, I doubt he pushes anything you beat. I think a turn chk/ra > than a lead for obv reasons.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:43 PM

i kinda like it if he thinks that you won't ever lead out with just a pair aces on the turn, and that you are firing another barrel cuz its a perfect scare card
Old 10-26-2006, 02:11 PM

I,

"He has won all those 5 pots either preflop or postflop by betting me out of the pot."

OK, then I don't think he's going to call you w/ a hand you beat here and I don't think he's going to try and make you fold for $2700 w/ $12,600 in the middle.

Given the stack sizes, pot here seems like a terrible amount to bet.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:19 PM

eld is right obv, youll rarely get action from a worse hand. however something has to be said about protecting your hand and taking the $3300 pot now.

theres a fine line between extracting value and protecting your hand, and i surely dont have a definitive answer. plus the metagame of showing him that he cant just float the flop vs you and expect anything other than another barrel.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:23 PM

i think a turn c/f is prob best here. seems unlikely hes gonna bet any hand he doesn't want to felt here since a turn c/r is so likely coming from your spot after you check, and any hand he wants to felt is likely better than AT.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:24 PM

check turn man. wtf.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:47 PM

Gabby obviously has Ax of hearts and shoves and river pairs the board.

Semi [ship it crucial].
Old 10-26-2006, 04:47 PM

I have been trying to play the turn more agressive lately with all kinds of hands. I thought check folding here is too weak and the risk of him checking some hand with outs behind is also big if I check it.
But then if I bet this kind of amount i'm basicly commiting myself to the pot and often get big amount in with small equity.
I also wanted to get the max value if he happens to have something like flush draw with A or if he thinks im FOS and decided to call with KQ or something.
I guess I could have bet little less on turn, it's just so easy to get caught in smashing the bet pot button.

This is just rambling, but I still have no clue what's the best course of action on turn.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:48 PM

interesting hand. you're from finland that explains it. i thnk your turn bet is better than everyone else has said for reasons you stated. but you reraised preflop so what can he really put you on? all reraising hands hit, AK AJ QT KJ, KK JJ AA. curious what happened here?