Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2006, 01:49 AM

Default Winning Omaha 8 Poker by Tenner and Krieger

This book is listed in the new Party Poker store for 5,000 points. Is it any good?
Old 02-25-2006, 03:15 AM

Default Re: Winning Omaha 8 Poker by Tenner and Krieger

It's been a while since I have played a lot of O8 and even longer since I have read this book so I don't remember the details of my thoughts on it however...

I'd rather order a bunch of Party hats and mouse pads. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2006, 03:31 AM

It depends on your familiarity with O8 and the levels at which you will be playing. For the lower level games and for someone with minimal O8 experience it is probably the best book available.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:52 PM

from what i've heard...this and Ray Zee's book are the only decent O8 books out.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It depends on your familiarity with O8 and the levels at which you will be playing. For the lower level games and for someone with minimal O8 experience it is probably the best book available.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.

You can get an idea of the content by reading the O/8 articles by Lou Krieger at Cardplayer.com. They were originally written as a preview of the book.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
from what i've heard...this and Ray Zee's book are the only decent O8 books out.

[/ QUOTE ]

The O/8 chapter in SS2 is also very good. I'd recommend reading Tenner, then SS2, and then Zee.

Mike Cappelletti's book is good, but not for the beginner. Once you know how to play the game, Mike can give you some good ideas, but he plays a LAG style that is not for everyone.

Ciaffone is also good, but his book is mostly Omaha Hi only.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The O/8 chapter in SS2 is also very good. I'd recommend reading Tenner, then SS2, and then Zee.

Mike Cappelletti's book is good, but not for the beginner. Once you know how to play the game, Mike can give you some good ideas, but he plays a LAG style that is not for everyone.

Ciaffone is also good, but his book is mostly Omaha Hi only.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was not impressed with Cappelletti's book. I bought it, read through most of it, and returned it.

The book is divided into chapters in a way that makes it look well organized, but most of these chapters, after some initial discussion, consist of Cappelletti relating hands he played that frequently don't have much to do with the subject of the chapter.

Moreover, almost every hand he describes can be summarized, "I called even though I knew I shouldn't be playing the hand and was shocked when my oppponents showed garbage and I scooped the pot."

Basically, his strategic advice seems to amount to, "Don't play any hands that don't contain A2, except I play all sorts of junk and somehow always win when I do."

Finally, IIRC, the book contains a point system for evaluting hands pre-flop, but the system is meant for Omaha High, NOT Omaha 8, and so seemed useless if not detrimental.

That said, this is the only Omaha/8 book I have ever read, so maybe all the rest are even worse.