Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 08:43 AM

Default coaching or learning alone?

I was just reading the profile of the 2p2er Isura at her website, and noticed she had two coaches who both improved her game to allow her to move up to high stakes cash games.

I usually learn things by myself, but this got me thinking. Do you think coaching is required to beat the high stake cash games ($1000NL)?
Or do you think just posting and reading and thinking loads at 2p2 is enough? Or does it depend on your talent?

Old 07-12-2007, 02:22 AM

Default Re: coaching or learning alone?

Do videos count as coaching?
Old 07-12-2007, 04:00 AM

All of the best players in the world in my opinion learn by fire. Learning br management, toruney strategies, etc. can be taught, but there is no need to have coaches in a game like this in my opinion. If you can find a freind who is a very good player at higher limits just sit down and talk with him for awhile and what not. But honestly the best poker players are the ones who sat down, went broke, and taught themselves.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All of the best players in the world in my opinion learn by fire. Learning br management, toruney strategies, etc. can be taught, but there is no need to have coaches in a game like this in my opinion. If you can find a freind who is a very good player at higher limits just sit down and talk with him for awhile and what not. But honestly the best poker players are the ones who sat down, went broke, and taught themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-12-2007, 07:06 AM

in that case, does anyone know of good online coaches for us for are unlikely to find any live ones? what level of education are we talking here? For someone as myself who has read most of the books, and plays regularly at 1/2NLH grinding a steady profit, how useful would a coach be? I get the feeling the 1/2 limits is the end of making money by playing ABC "by the book" poker, and feel my learning curve has really slowed down recently.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:07 AM

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. A great coach doesn't insure success, but it couldn't hurt.

There's no doubt that some posters here have improved their game through coaches.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in that case, does anyone know of good online coaches for us for are unlikely to find any live ones? what level of education are we talking here? For someone as myself who has read most of the books, and plays regularly at 1/2NLH grinding a steady profit, how useful would a coach be? I get the feeling the 1/2 limits is the end of making money by playing ABC "by the book" poker, and feel my learning curve has really slowed down recently.

[/ QUOTE ]

im in the same boat, i think for us the main benefit of the coach is confirming somethings you were on the fence about....havent had many sessions i hope i have one of those fish discovering fire moments
Old 07-12-2007, 08:45 AM

Do videos count?

Only if you make the video and get good feedback.
Watching videos should be part of your normal learning system.

I think sweeng8 has the point. How do you learn the game when you are moving from the ABC game that beats NL200 to a more advanced game to beat NL1000?

How did all you NL1000 players make the learning curve steepen?
Old 07-12-2007, 07:24 PM

Heh, Isura is is a guy btw ..