Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Plan A didn`t pan out. Bit sketchy on plan B

Final table, 3 get paid

Tables been together 2 orbits.Dont remember these 2 playing a hand Nobody has been overly aggro.

Plan was to make the standard raise and jam any flop

(My memory of the hand was that the SB reraised me. Apparently he only called but i guess it makes no difference)

Prima Poker skin
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t100/t200
8 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t5129.84
UTG+1: t3770.00
MP1: t7367.50
hero: t2180.00
CO: t10629.00
Button: t8176.16
SB: t4807.50
BB: t1750.00

Pre-flop: (8 players) hero is MP2 with :a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] :q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
3 folds, hero raises to t600</font>, 2 folds, SB calls t600 (pot was t900)</font>, BB raises all-in t1750</font>, hero

If i figure im behind is it still correct to call given the odds im getting/implied odds if SB follows me in?

If i was a bit deeper, or say we all had average stacks i`d be thinking about folding this - is this correct given the odds?
Old 01-29-2007, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Plan A didn`t pan out. Bit sketchy on plan B

I would just push this preflop. As played you have to call this.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:58 PM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-29-2007, 10:05 PM

i think i leak alot of chips doing this.

its the deal with the odds. i know technically its right to call but im behind often here.

what about if all three players have average stacks.... is it still a call?
Old 01-31-2007, 10:53 AM

You have to go all in, instead of calling. Okay, its only another 500 chips, but you want the sb gone asap
Old 01-31-2007, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With 11BBs you have very little room to maneuver post-flop and you need chips if you're gonna make the final three. AQ is a great hand in this situation.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think i leak alot of chips doing this.

its the deal with the odds. i know technically its right to call but im behind often here.

what about if all three players have average stacks.... is it still a call?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's certainly possible to leak chips with hands like AQo, but you aren't doing it here. Your stack mandates that you get the rest of your chips in now. In fact, as others have said, you should probably have just pushed to begin with. Yes, you are likely behind in this spot, but you're really only worried about 4 hands, namely AA, KK, QQ, AK. If villain has one of those, you're in a lot of trouble. But you're not guaranteed to be looking at one of those. You could easily be in a coin flip situation here, which is fine for someone in your position.

As to your question of what to do if everyone has average stacks.... Well, it depends on the players of course, but generally speaking I would muck AQ if I raised, got a call, and then a re-raise from another comparable stack when we both still had plenty behind.

--TFGoose
Old 01-31-2007, 07:17 PM

So nobody fancies a fold here then?

If i call, doesnt that mean SB is compelled to call due to the odds hes getting?
And if thats the case im looking pretty vulnerable.

Cos If thats true and the SB plays correctly and makes the call it looks like i just compounded the origional error (not open pushing this)

But if i fold i can correct the error later with an open push......I still have 1500 left.

or is this way off?
Old 01-31-2007, 07:30 PM

no actually i donīt mind playing with sb also, u are probably racing with bb and got to hit anyways. He probably doesnt have AK since he didnt pushed the first time so either he got a pair also or som kind of A/broadway combination. Hopefully they got jj TT respectively and u trplie when A or Q hit....

and push pf, and if you donīt... always call. u cannot raise/fold 11bb. (unless some wierd bubblesituation/sattelite situation)
Old 01-31-2007, 07:43 PM

You didn't mention ante's so I'm assuming there were none. At 100/200, your M was 7, not time to panic but you are looking for opportunities to push. I agree that your best move would have been to go all in preflop.

If you fold here you have 1,500 left, or a M of 5, you will be the short stack with a target on your chips. Plus after paying the blinds soon you will down to 4 - you are squarely in the territority that players will call you down w/ medium strength just to try and knock you out.

I've got myself into a lot of trouble by just raising when I will end up pot committed and forced to call a reraise. If you are going to be pot committed, get all your chips in early to maximize your chips value.

Unless I was on a stone cold steal [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I can't see folding here. You are not close enough to the money to limp along with what would be left of your stack.

Best of luck.