Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2006, 04:19 PM

Default blinds when a player goes out

We`ve always played just a big blind when a player goes out.
Apparantly thats how it is on Party. I`m used to the Prima structure where it carries on with a small & big blind.
Last night with 4 players left the small bind went out.
One unholy row then erupts about whos posting what. The guy who would have posted the solitary blind starts demanding a small and a big blind, insisting he was getting screwed cos he should`ve been small blind.

The guy who was two seats off the button argued that he would be getting screwed if we played small blind big blind as he would have posted 2 big and 1 small to other guys 1 small blind.

It seems to me what ever you do somebody ends up having to post more blinds than the other two left in the game.
So my question is: What does everybody else do/prefer to do with blinds when somebody goes out? Or which way is the fairest way?

Its kind of been an on/off argument for a while so i thought id ask you guys.

Thanks in advance. Raju
Old 12-16-2006, 06:46 PM

Default Re: blinds when a player goes out

It depends on who busted out and where you play.

If the small blind busts: This player would have been the button next, so it's a dead button and blinds continue as normal. Sounds like that's what should have happened in your situation.

If the big blind busts: This player would have been the small blind next hand. Some places will have a dead small blind, so the player that would have been the big blind is still the big blind and there is no small blind, then the next hand it's a dead button with blinds like normal.

The way it works where I play, however, is that the next hand there are two big blinds. The following hand, the blinds after the button are as normal, and there's a small blind on the button. This way everyone gets one big and one small blind, but the player to the left of the person who busted has a bonus of getting the button on his/her small blind.

In the end, it's a home game, so who really cares? Anyone making a stink about it needs to relax. Next time, throw the person who's complaining about it a chip that covers the cost of it and tell 'em to shut up.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:40 PM

Here is the way we play in our home games.

UTG busts - UTG+1 is BB, BB is SB, SB is dealer
BB busts - UTG is BB, empty spot is SB (ie. no money), SB is dealer
SB busts - UTG is BB, BB is SB, empty spot is dealer

The general rule is everybody gets one BB, one SB and one deal.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:56 AM

The easiest way to figure it is the big blind is what moves around the table. The small blind and button are then positioned accordingly. Every player must post the small and big blind every round once and only once. A player can be the button multiple times in a round.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A player can be the button multiple times in a round.

[/ QUOTE ]

... because, in the "dead button" rule described, you don't place the button in an empty seat in between the last dealer and the current SB.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:11 PM

Many thanks.
These responses should sort the job.

Especially this:
[ QUOTE ]
Next time, throw the person who's complaining about it a chip that covers the cost of it and tell 'em to shut up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Knew i could rely on you lot.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The easiest way to figure it is the big blind is what moves around the table. The small blind and button are then positioned accordingly. Every player must post the small and big blind every round once and only once. A player can be the button multiple times in a round.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like a mix of the "dead button" and the "moving button" rule...I'm not sure I agree with this.

I use the dead button rule and the big blind always advances to the next available player and then the SB and the button are placed accordingly. With the dead button rule the possibility does exist that there is no button and/or SB in a hand (so the button and SB can be in front of empty seats) but there is always a BB.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so the button and SB can be in front of empty seats

[/ QUOTE ]

How does an empty seat post a SB? Just curious...

:P

And his description wasn't a mixing of the two standard button rules. It was just described a little strangely... as was yours ("and then the SB and the button are placed accordingly")
Old 12-18-2006, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so the button and SB can be in front of empty seats

[/ QUOTE ]

How does an empty seat post a SB? Just curious...

:P

And his description wasn't a mixing of the two standard button rules. It was just described a little strangely... as was yours ("and then the SB and the button are placed accordingly")

[/ QUOTE ]
You may disagree with the wording (and technically you're right) but Robert Rules says it similarly (see below) so I'm in good company. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

"(b) Dead button – The big blind is posted by the player due for it, and the small blind and button are positioned accordingly, even if this means the small blind or the button is placed in front of an empty seat , giving the same player the privilege of last action on consecutive hands."
Old 12-19-2006, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but Robert Rules says it similarly (see below) so I'm in good company. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

"(b) Dead button – The big blind is posted by the player due for it, and the small blind and button are positioned accordingly, even if this means the small blind or the button is placed in front of an empty seat , giving the same player the privilege of last action on consecutive hands."

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, you've earned the apology then... but I'll have to yell at Bob C, I guess, since you'd never put the button in place of an empty seat- it always stays with an active player. What strange wording (though I concede the point that is trying to be made).