Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 01:40 AM

Default Long downswing

Hey, I dont usually post this, but these past 12 days ive been running really bad, or I end up breaking even, or I just finish down, ive been a relatively winning player thru nl25 and nl50 (still grinding it out), but Ive been running bad over 30k hands now, its really frustrating, I just think ill never get out of it, that ill never finish this huge downswing im living now, ive lost like a third of my roll, slowly losing it thru those 30k hands. I just really dont know whats the best strat to combat this lame feeling i get.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:16 AM

Default Re: Long downswing

Hi - it might just be varience. In which case just keep playing and work through it. Varience is tough to swallow in that we all know it is going to happen but when it does we think it must be something else.

The thing I find when I am in a downswing though is that I start pushing hands when I shouldn't. It is a very subtle form of tilt but it means you are not playing your optimum poker. Just slow down a little and think whether your next action is the correct one.

It is hard to stomach but you must stay within BR (if that means dropping down a level then do it), keep playing what is obviously winning poker (as you have demonstarated in the past) and just slow your decision times down a little.

I hope you get through this soon. Good luck
Old 09-10-2007, 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ive been a relatively winning player thru nl25 and nl50 (still grinding it out), but Ive been running bad over 30k hands now

[/ QUOTE ]
over how many hands were you a winning player and what sort of winrate?
Old 09-10-2007, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, I dont usually post this, but these past 12 days ive been running really bad, or I end up breaking even, or I just finish down, ive been a relatively winning player thru nl25 and nl50 (still grinding it out), but Ive been running bad over 30k hands now, its really frustrating, I just think ill never get out of it, that ill never finish this huge downswing im living now, ive lost like a third of my roll, slowly losing it thru those 30k hands. I just really dont know whats the best strat to combat this lame feeling i get.

[/ QUOTE ]
First question: how many tables are you playing?
Playing less tables may mean you get in far fewer hands overall but it also allows you to develope more accurate reads of different players in addition to reducing variance and improving your post flop play.
2nd question: What kind of hands do you keep getting stacked on?
Are you the type that refuses to fold overpairs to the board when it seems blatantly obvious you're behind but you want to believe that you're not.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:14 PM

Well its mostly setups, or people going all in with A high flush draw on a flop where i have a set and getting there, or betting each street against people who have low folding ratio (33% and less for each street.) when I have Ak and they have AJ on A96 flop and getting a jack on the river. i can post hands but ive been a winning player at 25nl and 50nl over 35k hands. Running decently well, i move up when i have 20+ bi. But the last 30k hands are really horrible, and the last 10k were just brutal, id get outdrawn all the time.
I was running at 8bb/100 over 25k hands at nl25, i moved up, then i was running well over 8-10k hands at nl50 but then it just happend.
I just started a new account on ftp, I play 6 tables and am a solid 19/17 TAG for now. I just guess I have to pass thru it, but it seems like it will nevers stop.I hate being unlucky [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] . Maybe I should leave full tilt and go play on party lol :P
Old 09-10-2007, 01:27 PM

A good way to restore your confidence is to spend some extra time analyzing your play. Post hands you normally wouldn't have thought that much of, look for leaks. It helps to have a clear idea of how you've been playing, what sort of mistakes you can fix and which situations were decided entirely by luck.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just started a new account on ftp,

[/ QUOTE ]
Different players?
[ QUOTE ]
I play 6 tables

[/ QUOTE ]
Cut back to 2-3 and think more about each move?
Old 09-11-2007, 01:06 AM

Nah,I already played on ftp, its not really that much of a game problem, just running horribly bad. I cant play at 3 tables, i already get really bored playing 6 tables, i set up my PAhud so it gives me all the info i need i got aggression on every street, fold ratio on every street, blind steal. Its just really easy to tell what kind of players im playing against, usually its not that much hard decisions, its mostly easy ones but i get outdrawn at the end (set vs flush draw etc.)

But this session was better, made near 4 buyins over 1.7k hands. Didnt get stacked once lol yey [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], lets hope I dont get horrible marginal spots anymore.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:17 AM

You've been running insanely good if 12 days hits you like this.

-Michael
Old 09-12-2007, 08:41 AM

I am guessing you have less than 100,000 hands experience in total at NL25 and above?

Does everyone else think this is enough experience to play 6 tables of 6-max at NL50, then move to NL100 with the roll??

My thoughts are that if you are playing six tables, you are not thinking too deep about why you are making the decisions. Therefore, you are not learning as much per hand as someone who plays 2-tables. If you are not learning as much per hand, it is possible to earn the bankroll to move up limits, but your game is not good enough to beat the tougher players. The downswing is then inevitable.

Just my 2 cent.

I say this because I have reduced my table numbers to learn new stuff before I go to NL100. If two players of equal skill played 50000 hands before moving up, the player who did it on fewer tables would be more skillful and richer because of the higher bb/100. (but it would take him longer obv.)