Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Tilting/chasing losses. Fight it or just quit playing?

A few times in my low-stakes poker "career" I have suffered a total loss of control - often for pathetic reasons - and started chasing my losses. Twice it has destroyed my modest bankroll that I had grinded out.
Now I definitely have some problems in my life right now that I need to sort out and as long as I haven't done that I probably shouldn't be playing at all - it contributed to my most recent tilt I'm sure. But that's another issue.

In any case I do not want to experience another meltdown like that again. There are two ways to achieve that: playing without ever tilting that badly again or quitting.

I think I will give it another try in a while, and I will attempt to follow strict rules of not playing above my limits and quitting when I feel tilt is about to surface. The problem is, I don't know if that will work.

My question is: Does the fact that I am capable of self-destructing behaviour at the tables prove once and for all that I am not qualified to play Poker and that I would be better off quitting right here and now?
I know that in the end it just comes down to me and my willingness to not let my emotions take over control. But maybe it is just in me that Poker will do that to me at times and nothing I ever try will change that. In that case there's no sense in playing.

Has anyone here overcome self-destructive tilting to a point that it will most likely not happen again (for all he knows)?
Old 09-04-2007, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Tilting/chasing losses. Fight it or just quit playing?

Might be a pain to do it but I would always remove cash from my poker account leaving enough to comfortably play with. The cash I withdrew I would send to an account (bank, neteller, whatever) that was otherwise empty meaning it wouldnt be accessible for 2/3 days if I lost the remaining cash in my poker account.

This assumes of course that your poker site doesnt have a reverse-withdrawal.

Alright, I accept this doesnt get to the root cause of your problem (but nothing short of mid/long term therapy or drugs is really going to tackle it) but it's a viable method and has saved me a decent amount of cash in the past when I've taken a big hit.

Good luck.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:49 PM

I feel pretty comfortable saying that nearly everyone has tilted off a good chunk of money at some point and time (myself included). If you play long enough your experience alone will help to relieve this type of setback. Much of the rest comes from maturity and good bankroll management.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:06 PM

There are times when you simply shouldn't be playing poker as you pointed out (when you have issues in your life that you have identified). If you must play as a release, you should be stepping down. This is experience talking (which I didn't have). I don't know where I would be right now if the UIGEA (or whatever it was) hadn't passed.

Take oddsock's advice to keeping your balance in your account near the minimum to allow you to play a couple sessions if possible. The time taken to re-load your account can give time to gain perspective on what's happening.

You have a destructive tendency which may be a gambling addiction or it may be due to other life issues currently surfacing. You are aware of the issue so try to monitor it. Don't lie to yourself about it though if it rears its ugly head again. It may be time to step back and gain some 'true' perspective.

It's unlikely that you will beat this 100%, but as long as you can minimize the damage, it won't completely destroy your bankroll (have a bankroll).
Old 09-05-2007, 02:12 AM

PM me when you are about to tilt and I will join you at the table.

Seriously, everyone tilts and if they say they don't they are deluding themselves. It might not be through complete steaming like you seem to have done but they will start making wrong decisions etc.

It is not easy to stop but the thing you must try and do at all times is just make the right choices. We are all different and some people's personalities will make it harder than others. No magic formula I'm afraid but good luck.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, everyone tilts and if they say they don't they are deluding themselves. It might not be through complete steaming like you seem to have done but they will start making wrong decisions etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably true, the 2P2 magazine currently has a nice article about tilting without getting emotional, I think this might be my problem.