Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Default starting strategy

Thanks, some really good answers there (especially Dozers!!)

AeronBrown:
"To me, playing tight until you've figured things out is playing not to lose, rather than playing to win."

True, but in the first few orbits at NL50 against unknown players-this is probably optimal. I am getting a read on the opponents, while they might steal a few blinds- a small price to pay. I suppose I could watch the table for a few orbits before sitting down. But I dont concentrate unless I am sitting down and playing.

[ QUOTE ]
Everything sounds fairly standard, although 5/5 might be a little too tight, but eh. That may not be a bad way to go at NL50.

The other thing is that 22/20 sounds like your PFR might be a little high (I'm at 22/17). At lower limits you could probably be a little more passive and limpy preflop against softer players, and make your money postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Overall my 6-max stats are 25/15/3 since January (standard?).

Dozer- Do you actually read any of this stuff?
Old 07-01-2007, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While it depends on the circumstances, I generally go the opposite route. I start playing extremely loose. I want to maximize my advantage during the time they don't know me. Also I prefer to create a table image of someone who's money can be taken, because that's a first step toward long-term profitable play.

To me, playing tight until you've figured things out is playing not to lose, rather than playing to win. It's standard conservative advice, but I think it's given more to protect the reputation of the person giving the advice than to help players make more money. If you tell people to start out loose, some players are going to lose a lot of money quickly, and they will blame your advice. The ones who go on to make money won't remember how you helped them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is probably the optimal way to play when new to a table. I do this and tend to get payed off on my hands later on, when people have that first impression of me being a super aggro lag.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
POKER is gambling- you have the intelligence quotient of less than 25 the high is 165

[/ QUOTE ]

KNOCK IT OFF!!
Old 07-06-2007, 08:41 AM

I also play 6-max NL50 / NL100. When I sit down I immediately play about 21/17 but I will absolutely NOT bluff beyond c-betting flops with good texture (e.g. K52 rainbow) until I know my opponents better.

At these stakes it seems that 3betting usually means AK / JJ+ so I do 3-bet a lot lighter right off the bat. What range do you guys 3bet by default?
Old 07-06-2007, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While it depends on the circumstances, I generally go the opposite route. I start playing extremely loose. I want to maximize my advantage during the time they don't know me. Also I prefer to create a table image of someone who's money can be taken, because that's a first step toward long-term profitable play.

To me, playing tight until you've figured things out is playing not to lose, rather than playing to win. It's standard conservative advice, but I think it's given more to protect the reputation of the person giving the advice than to help players make more money. If you tell people to start out loose, some players are going to lose a lot of money quickly, and they will blame your advice. The ones who go on to make money won't remember how you helped them.

[/ QUOTE ]
I like this advice for competent players who can appear loose but be able to get out of bad situations cheaply with good postflop skils and good appreciation of implied odds.

For the more novice or when moving up in stakes, etc. it is probably better to do the opposite.

I think in general, your advice will lead to higher variance but ultimately higher profit while the tight start will lead to lower variance and lower profit. I guess it depends on what kind of game you want to play.