Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 12:21 PM

Default AA oop against maniac

Game is 6max 25NL

Maniac is playing 68/42 with 100% attempt to steal blinds over 130 hands

Maniac raises to .85 on button
Passive SB calls
I have AA in BB. I know he will call if I pot it or make it slightly larger than pot so I make it $6 looking to take down a small pot rather than play an overpair out of position against a crazy person.

He calls. SB folds.

Worst imagineable flop comes: 9h 10h Qs

Pot is $13

How do you play this hand post flop?

My thoughts - He will raise with any two cards if I check. Any reasonable c-bet nearly commits me to the hand.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:24 PM

Default Re: AA oop against maniac

First - your raise to $6 hoping to just take it is just weak. I like it if you're 100% certain he'll call.

Second - I'm pretty much not folding an overpair here against the maniac. You've built the pot large enough that you're probably pot committed.

B-3b works.

If you're 100% certain he'll bet, then check raise all in is fine.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:32 PM

What is his postflop aggression like, what are his WTSD% and W$SD numbers? Some 68/42's are much more reasonable postflop, while others are still quite aggressive. Since you say he will call your raise with many weak hands preflop and always bet when checked to, you should be way ahead of his range here, I would check-raise all-in.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:39 PM

Gotta agree with Kurto.

1.) You bet too much preflop, and are lucky he called. Yes you needed to raise, but you could lose your action doing this.

2.) You fold to a donkey on a Q 10 9 board? So out of all the hands he had, you give immediate credit to 2 pair, a set, or KJ? No way. Donkey could have 45os also. At this point I try to get my money in anyway I can without driving him out, and am happy I did it.

I NEVER fold AA to a person like this unless I see a KK, QQ, or JJ hit the board and they then start to become more aggro than normal post flop. If they beat me fine, but you're good in this spot at least 3/4's of the time.

If you can't pull the trigger on the donkey here, then you must be waiting for the absolute nuts, and good luck with that.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:46 PM

preflop is good, Villain is never folding, no problem with getting as much money in as possible
Old 11-02-2007, 12:59 PM

if you have $25 stacks, you have 19 bucks left. Lead the flop for around $9, get rest in on turn.

If the pots heads up and you hold an overpair (in gerenal) or set while getting in 20% of your stack preflop you should try to get the rest in.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:00 PM

Having made the pot so large I had no plans of folding post flop just curious to see if others agreed as I often get over attached to AA.

I led out and I think I agree that check raising would have been better.

I got stacked by his KJo
Old 11-02-2007, 01:05 PM

Check raising isnt better here. Boards so drawy and even though hes an aggro (probably idiot) you'll win more by leading out(if hes an idiot, he'll call with any piece anyway)
Old 11-02-2007, 01:10 PM

I agree check-raising isn't better except that he said villain was betting 100% of his holdings if checked to. If that's the case, and if he isn't also calling 100% of his range than I think check-raise makes sense. In fact, even if he is also calling every time check-raising still might be better since it gets the money in faster assuming he calls your raise too. Of course if you're not really sure he's always betting than you should lead out.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got stacked by his KJo

[/ QUOTE ]

bad luck. But you know that this player would have probably got his stack in with any 9, 10, Q, heart draw, straight draw, KK....