Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Open-Ended Versus Nath

From last night's Stars $300. I believe I'd been playing pretty TAG, as had Nath (though he'd made at least one big move) but obviously between thinking players that kind of short-term image is worth only so much. We haven't played much together, and I don't know what he thinks of me overall, but this was the first time we'd tangled in the 1.5 hours or so we'd been at the same table. I'd raised UTG about once every half hour, and the last two times won the blinds uncontested.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t100/t200
(Ante: t10)
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Foucault: t11879
UTG+1: t8630
MP1: t8060
MP2: t5770
MP3: t3280
CO: t5570
Button: t22605
SB: t9195
BB: t15450

Pre-flop: (9 players) Foucault is UTG with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Foucault raises to t569</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls t569 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t959)</font>, 5 folds, BB calls t369 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t1528)</font>.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t1897, 3 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Foucault bets t1300</font>, MP1 calls t1300 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t3197)</font>, BB folds.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t4497, 2 players)

Nath has a little over 6000 left in his stack. What's my line?
Old 08-16-2007, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Open-Ended Versus Nath

fouc did you know it was me on your ftops table? kind of didn't want to say it blantently in chat for others but didn't have your aim.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:12 PM

I def like the c/shove line vs nath PF stacks perfect for it.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I def like the c/shove line vs nath PF stacks perfect for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean check-shove the flop? Yeah that would have been good I don't do that often enough.

And yeah I did know it was you on FTOPS, we played together in another event as well I think?
Old 08-16-2007, 06:26 PM

lol, he asked me about this hand later
Old 08-16-2007, 06:26 PM

on the turn it's either check or push. i know nath enjoys making the big call and all that, but pushing the turn is a strong play that represents qq+, and nath will probably be forced to fold quite a few reasonable holdings.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:40 PM

His smooth call with one left to act behind him on the flop is worrisome. Any draw you'd expect him to push there. Floating against an UTG raiser with someone else in the pot seems overly risky. Since you're playing for his stack and most of yours if you go any further in the hand, I think you have to check/fold here. I also vote for C/R the flop here.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His smooth call with one left to act behind him on the flop is worrisome. Any draw you'd expect him to push there. Floating against an UTG raiser with someone else in the pot seems overly risky. Since you're playing for his stack and most of yours if you go any further in the hand, I think you have to check/fold here. I also vote for C/R the flop here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my concern. In particular, I was worried that he would expect me to check it to him if I really had a big pair, given his reputation for aggression. they consider aggressive.

Obviously pre-flop is for the purpose of protecting my big pairs, so I do want to play the hand aggressively (hence the flop bet), but I wasn't sure whether a turn shove would plausibly represent QQ+.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:01 AM
 is offline

If he knows you know it's him, then shoving the turn looks pretty weak IMO, and if I'm nath, I'm calling you light there.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:25 AM

I will be extremely suprised if nath doesn't show up with 88-QQ here almost always. His preflop call with many to act behind has to be somewhat alarming. Calling the flop with another yet to act rings them louder. You think you fold those hands here? I don't. I would feel much more comfortable bluffing if the turn was a legitemate scare card rather then a total blank actually.