Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2007, 10:48 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?
Default When should I raise the white flag?

I am beginning to believe I will never win at Limit O/8. How many hands do I need before I have a large enough sample size? Sorry the images are big and messing up the size of the screen.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:08 AM

Default Re: When should I raise the white flag?

Wow that's a lot of play from the small blind.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:39 PM

I do not think that anyone could be a long term winner or break even player at these limits by playing so passively.

I have to force myself to be both unpredictable & aggressive in order to compete with the continually aggressive online players.

You may get to a table where there is a lot of aggression and think that letting them bet your hands for you is okay, bu that lets other players along for the ride and with LO8 hands being so close in rank and so often having back door outs, more often that not you end up losing to someone who just didn't belong in the hand.

With aggressive play, you force more mistakes - some players will defend with weak hands, some will fold when they have an edge on you, but you can't win by calling.

Good luck & Happy 4th.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:11 PM

Try tightening up preflop. My guess is you also need to tighten up on the flop. It is easy to find something to like on most flops. These hands are probably not as good as they initially seem due to the split pot nature of the game.

You want to play for scoops and you want to draw to the nuts.

- chaos
Old 07-06-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Try tightening up preflop. My guess is you also need to tighten up on the flop. It is easy to find something to like on most flops. These hands are probably not as good as they initially seem due to the split pot nature of the game.

This is what makes the game so tough. There are different ways to play.

I think that Chaos is giving you the worst possible advice for 2/4 LO8 at AP. He no doubt thinks the exact opposite.

There are different ways to play & be a winner - that's what makes the game a challenge, and this site a treasure trove of information.
You want to play for scoops and you want to draw to the nuts.

- chaos

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-06-2007, 03:55 PM

I disagree about tightening up preflop - any tighter and your butt would be a diamond manufacturing plant. I see your posts here a lot and my honest opinion is that you are good at asking for advice, but very bad at using it to your advantage. Your VPIP is tiny (I like low to mid twenties at least), and while I’m not sure I’ll guess it should be slightly higher at the higher limits, not the other way round. You need to avoid donk-limping from the SB – those numbers soiled my shorts - if you can't raise, RARELY call. Your losses when combined with high W$SD suggest to me that you are waiting to find monsters before initiating action. This makes it easy to win small pots and easy for opponents to lay down to your scoopers. You are probably calling too much postflop, judging by your c. 60% W$SD with net losses. My off the cuff suggestions, in addition to the above, is to take a few more chances with your better drawing hands on the turn, as you need to make people pay when your equity is favorable. I play PLO8 almost exclusively, so maybe this is bad advice, but shouldn't you at least try stealing blinds every now and then? It would go a long way to masking your better starting hands. As it stands your opponents probably find your play entirely too predictable. Sort by players you have lost the most $ too and throw them a curveball every now and then (or avoid them if you can't change your game), and as always be willing to jump ship on a hand if it goes horribly wrong. If you are only down a few buyins over 14K hands, you are slowly bleeding, and this can usually be fixed. Don't give up yet, change your game today.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:11 PM

OP, 1more fish said it before I could. YOU NEED TO BECOME MORE AGGRESSIVE POSTFLOP. YOU ARE PLAYING TOO WEAK. I have no doubt you could beat a b&m game where 6 or more see the flop, but in tighter online games you have to try to outplay them after the flop.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:51 PM

You have a large enough sample size.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:24 PM

Is your PF raise data photoshopped? That has got to be the lowest % I've ever seen posted by a 2p2 reader.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:58 AM

Yes, your PFR% and aggr are very fishy. I'm going to miss your soft money at AP.

Your style of play is wholly correct for dog track poker (6+ to the flop) but is a dead loser in online limit poker.

Ironically, I have the oppposite problem: I am often overly aggressive in low limit b&m cash games.