Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 05:33 AM

Default Bottom two check raised on turn 2/4 NLCASH

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $2/$4 Blinds - 2 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

BB: $658.10
Hero (SB): $403.50

Reads: <font color="blue">We've played 50 hands or so and it feels like I haven't won a single pot. I don't know if he's running me over or just catching cards.</font>

Preflop: Hero is dealt 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $12.00</font>, BB calls $8.00

Flop: ($24) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $18.00</font>, BB calls $18.00

Turn: ($60) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $45.00</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to $135.00</font>
Old 08-05-2007, 07:49 AM

Default Re: Bottom two check raised on turn 2/4 NLCASH

have you gone to showdown a lot? Has he had the goods?

I think you are still good here. Perhaps call, raise non-broadway river card.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:37 AM

fine as played
Old 08-05-2007, 12:11 PM

call this turn raise but never raise his river bet unless you fill up.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:32 PM

Nothing wrong with the play but it looks like hes drawing to the straight, hes calling your bets to the river then when the ace comes he's suddenly become very aggressive? If the openant is very tricky he could be doing it with completly nothing or maybe even ace high that has hit and put you on a king, which makes me call the hand even though I think i'm behind.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:05 AM

I would call here. If he called the flop with a drawing hand you are most likely still ahead, and it seems likely he would reraise pre with a lot of the hands that have you beat.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:50 AM

if he calls the raise, there'll be 330 in the pot, and he'll have 240 or so behind. are people talking about raising a blocking bet?

in terms of him running you over, has he checkraised the turn before? has he showed much aggression on that street in general?

for some players, this could be a hand that looks better on the turn (qj, qt, jx diamond) that they won't bet on the river unless they further improve.

depending on how often you think he'll continue a turn bluff on the river, you might be better off raising the turn than calling.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if he calls the raise, there'll be 330 in the pot, and he'll have 240 or so behind. are people talking about raising a blocking bet?

in terms of him running you over, has he checkraised the turn before? has he showed much aggression on that street in general?

for some players, this could be a hand that looks better on the turn (qj, qt, jx diamond) that they won't bet on the river unless they further improve.

depending on how often you think he'll continue a turn bluff on the river, you might be better off raising the turn than calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

He hadn't check raised the turn until now. I guess he'd been reasonably aggressive on the turn in general.

So you're saying that if I don't think he continues to bluff on the river I should shove to protect my hand? If I call turn do I then have to call a shove? I'm confused.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:04 AM

"So you're saying that if I don't think he continues to bluff on the river I should shove to protect my hand? If I call turn do I then have to call a shove? I'm confused."

No just the opposite. If he's just going to give up after the turn and if you're not going to get any value from your hand as a river bluff catcher, you might as well raise the turn and shut out those hands.

also if you call the turn, you don't have to call the river.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"So you're saying that if I don't think he continues to bluff on the river I should shove to protect my hand? If I call turn do I then have to call a shove? I'm confused."

No just the opposite. If he's just going to give up after the turn and if you're not going to get any value from your hand as a river bluff catcher, you might as well raise the turn and shut out those hands.

also if you call the turn, you don't have to call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I'm still not quite sure I understand you but tell me if this makes sense:

What I do obv depends what range I put him on.

If his range primarily consits of hands that I beat but won't bluff the river I should obviously shove.

If his range primarily consists of hands I beat but bluffs the river I should call and call a non J/T river and maybe call a diamond river.

If his range consists of hands that beats be but with some semi bluffs mixed in that won't bluff the river I should call and fold the river.

If his range consists of hands that beats be but with some semi bluffs mixed in that will bluff the river I should fold due to not getting good enough odds to call.

As for the general hand. I doubt he has a hand that beats me or a flush draw very often. JT or a flush draw often plays the flop more aggressively and the rest RR preflop except 66 maybe. I could be 2-barreling because of the ace hitting so he's likely to be turning something like pair+ gutshot into a semi bluff. He seems pretty aggressive so I guess he could bluff river if he misses. So I think I like calling with the intention of calling most rivers.