Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Flopping a pair OOP

I've been having trouble adjusting the way I play my marginal made hands in 6-max when I'm OOP. I played full-ring before, where you couldn't often get more than one street of value out of top pair. Balancing pot control and extraction OOP in 6-max is a problem for me at times.

******* Hand 1 ********

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to $2</font>, CO folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $7</font>, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($22, 3 players)
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $14.5</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($51, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $33.5</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: $33.5 returned to Button.

Results:
Final pot: $51

100bb stacks. Villain is multitabling reg who often does not pay attention to hands he plays.
My line looks bad to me, but I can't think of a better way to play it.

******* Hand 2 ********

Poker Stars
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $5</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($10.5, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $9</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($28.5, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $27</font>, Hero calls.

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($82.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero is all-in $59</font>, Button folds.
Uncalled bets: $59 returned to Hero.

Results:
Final pot: $82.5

100bb stacks. Only a few orbits with villain but seems loose. Lead flop? As played c-rai river?

******* Hand 3 ********

Poker Stars
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $2</font>, CO folds, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($8, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $6</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, Button folds.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($20, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $13</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $26</font>, Hero calls....?

100bb stacks. I have no idea what's going on here. What does villain have? Checking the turn for pot control bad? Bet more, fold to raise? If I bet more and villain calls, how do I play :spade" river? C-F? Villain is unknown.

******* Hand 4 ********

Poker Stars
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, CO calls, Button folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $6</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, CO folds.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($14, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $8</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($30, 2 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks.

River: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($30, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $15</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $45</font>, Hero ???

Should I have bet turn? Do I call this? Villain is unknown.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Flopping a pair OOP

Hand 1 seems fine I guess. I might lead the flop, as much as I normally don't advocate this, to "find out where I'm at." Assuming the min-raiser sucks, he could potentially call with worse so it has some value.

Hand 2 I hate calling OOP preflop there. Either reraise or fold depending on all those things decisions in poker depend on.

Hand 3 I'd fold preflop. Yeah it's a minraise, and KQ isn't that bad, but you're OOP with a potentially dominated hand. Turn is the easiest fold ever as played.

Hand 4: $11 on the flop, bet the turn, fold to the river raise as played.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:28 AM

hand 1: call. c/c river depending on what comes and bet size

hand 2: bet smaller, like 1/3 pot

hand 3: any reads on villain? i think vs unknown this is a fold. although in the heat of the moment i would probably call and re-evaulate river also i don't like donking into the PFR here on the flop

Hand 4: again what are reads on villain? against an unknown i think i'd fold
Old 05-06-2007, 01:35 AM

To long to read. This is 6 nax?????? Probably wrong forum
Old 05-06-2007, 02:25 AM

I'm new to 1NL after just moving up recently, so take this with a grain of salt and any comments you have would be good.

Hand 1:
I probably play this the same.

Hand 2:
I fold this PF. I don't think you are strong enough to raise during this hand, and if he is loose I like calling down as he tries to push you off your hand. I would be checking the river to let him hang himself, that is a scary card for you if you have a one pair hand so let him use it.

Hand 3:
Looks pretty standard, easy turn fold. I don't mind a c/c either but that often makes the river really hard to play so prefer the b/f.

Hand 4:
I think checking the turn is fine for pot control. Maybe c/c the river if you think he will bluff it, but I normally lead like you did. I think you have to fold to the raise, but if he does it again call for sure.