Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2007, 01:41 AM

Default JJ facing turn ck-raise

wpex 2/4

villain is unknown other than i saw him steal with K3s otb a few hands ago.

hero raises JJ utg (no diamond), villain calls in bb

flop 9d 5 4d
villain checks, hero bets, villain raises, hero 3bets

turn 6d
villain checks, hero bets, villain raises, hero calls

river 4
villain bets, hero calls

i could have gone either way vs an unknown on the turn but i think my default is call down; Although as i bet the turn i said i was folding to a check-raise then called down
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] even I'm not my own boss
Old 01-19-2007, 01:46 AM

Default Re: JJ facing turn ck-raise

I don't fold this when there are so many pair+diamond type hands possible, but I don't know if that's correct.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:48 AM

Well you weren't sure if that Villain's HU c/r on the turn meant a big made hand or a pure draw or something like a pair and a draw. I don't know either. Nobody knows. A c/r on the turn and bet on the river is usually a made hand, but some guys semibluff that way and will bet a busted draw on the river. It could be a weak made hand though too. Since you went to showdown, now you know.

Edit: Forget the above. I didn't realize what the flop play was when I wrote that.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well you weren't sure if that Villain's c/r on the turn meant a big made hand or a draw. I don't know either, although a c/r on the turn and bet on the river is usually a made hand. Since you went to showdown, now you know.

[/ QUOTE ]

that doesnt mean i know whats right IMO though still, i just know what would have happened to be right in that instance

i refuse to be results oriented

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I'm getting a bit less than 4:1 on the call down, how often can i expect to be good vs an unknown after this action? is he ever doing this with Ad9 after i 3bet the flop or some other worse hand? probably, but often enough to make calling down here +EV UI? Should i call if the 4flush comes out or if the board doesnt pair? I have my guesses about all these things and what is correct but only helps to find out u were wrong.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:03 AM

Anyone else often smooth call the flop checkraise with this type of board and action while in position to raise a safe turn? Obviously in this case that would lead me to just call down after the flop checkraise.

As played I think we have to call the turn and river unless opponent is passive/straightforward.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:06 AM

i think you played this fine
Old 01-19-2007, 02:10 AM

Oh, I just realized Villain c/r'd the flop and then c/r'd the turn after you 3Bet the flop. I didn't even see that before.

You're play is to fold.

I'm sure you will get some people who like a call down. I see there are already a couple. I am telling you unequivocally that's a bad play.

I'm so sure now you lost this hand I'll bet a steak dinner against Chinese takeout with anybody that thinks you won this hand. That means I'm laying 6:1 odds but I have the best of it because the actual odds you won this hand are at least 8:1.

Getting 4:1 (your estimate, I didn't check it) to call down was not close to good enough.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:17 AM

oops i actually messed up the flop action, but its interesting to hear responses on the hand with a slight variation.

the actual flop action was villain donked, hero raised, villain called then check-raised the turn.

would like to hear peoples thoughts on both ways the hand plays out, particularly if you opt for one choice one way and another another.

Interesting how that bit of difference (really not that small of a difference here) could potentially change the decision.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the actual flop action was villain donked, hero raised, villain called then check-raised the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, well this variation I go back to it's close either way without a read on your opponent. Call down if you want and get a read. Folding is OK too. Then watch how he plays including when you're not in the hand. You're not giving up much by folding. You're drawing dead at least 1 time in 4 or close to it.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else often smooth call the flop checkraise with this type of board and action while in position to raise a safe turn? Obviously in this case that would lead me to just call down after the flop checkraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I think this is the best way to play the hand. There are so many cards that will put you in a similar tough situation as here. By just calling the flop check-raise you are guaranteed to get to SD and you can still get in a turn-raise on the cards you want to.