Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2007, 03:55 PM

Default Question re: \"Professional NL Hold Em\" statistic

On page 273 of the (excellent!) "Professional NL Hold 'Em" it says that when holding ATo, "With 6 players to act, there is a 26.6 percent chance that someone has a better high-card hand." Where did this statistic come from, where can I find more such statistics, and where can I find an explanation of how to compute them myself? Thanks!
Old 09-01-2007, 04:22 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller
Default Re: Question re: \"Professional NL Hold Em\" statistic

ah Steve - glad you asked.....we'll touch on that subject in depth in Volume Two.....we did a bunch of math sims on that topic, and we'll give the results in a chart in V.2....thanks...
Old 09-01-2007, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On page 273 of the (excellent!) "Professional NL Hold 'Em" it says that when holding ATo, "With 6 players to act, there is a 26.6 percent chance that someone has a better high-card hand."

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently by "better high card hand" they mean {TT+, AJ+} here.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On page 273 of the (excellent!) "Professional NL Hold 'Em" it says that when holding ATo, "With 6 players to act, there is a 26.6 percent chance that someone has a better high-card hand." Where did this statistic come from, where can I find more such statistics, and where can I find an explanation of how to compute them myself? Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

The Maths is pretty straight forward. Once you take AT out of the deck, you add up the number of ways to make each of AK(12), AQ(12), AJ(12), AA(3), KK(6), QQ(6), JJ(6), TT(3), a total of 60 combinations.

Multiplying combinations by 0.075 will convert pretty precisely to percentage. 4.5% And each of the 6 people has an equal chance of having those hands. 27%.

As for computing it yourself, either write some software to do it, or wait for volume II. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Is there a date for the next volume yet? Really looking forward to it already.