Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 12:25 AM

Default Re: The Worst Strategy You\'ve Overheard at a Table

"I play low cards because everybody else plays high cards. Gamble..gamble...gamble...) -from a 4/8 kill game
Old 05-01-2007, 12:26 AM

I played about 20 hours of $4/$8 this weekend so I heard some real gems.

- After a 42o SB hand wins a big pot with 2 pr the dealer says, "That just proves that $4/$8 is all luck. There is no skill what-so-ever in limit poker." One pretty sharp guy next to the dealer laughed and said he believed there was definitely skill involved and starting hand selection would be the first place to start. The dealer concedes and says "Well whatever, I guess there might be some skill involved but no more than 5% at most. Trust me I deal, so I see how much luck is involved. No limit....well that's skill."

- I over heard a great conversation between 3 people at the table about how poker is 100% luck BUT craps is all about the odds and can easily be beaten if you know the numbers. Sharp dressed 30ish guy says his buddies "know all the dice odds" and never loose because "they have an advantage over the house". He's going to get them to teach him the odds pretty soon. I hope he doesn't give up poker! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2007, 12:34 AM

in a local full table 1/2 nlhe game i get AA utg. the table is mega loose so i pop it to 12 and get 3 callers. flop is k104 no flush draw. i bet out 40 and the last caller goes all in for like 40 more. i am pist off but got to call this uber donk.

As i am putting chips in i ask if he has k10...he shakes his head and turns over k4o

i was tilty so i berate him a little and he replies, " you only raised $12 preflop."
Old 05-01-2007, 01:12 AM

Was on the flop with an OESFD and got all-in against two people and catch on the turn.

Guy:You went all-in with that?
Me:I had 14 outs. (This guy can't be taught, don't worry)
Guy:But it was a draw. I don't go in on a draw.

He also got into an argument about NFL football when the team with the ball fumbled it and it went out of the endzone they were trying to get into.

Me:That's a touchback, what a shame
Him:No it's not, they keep the ball and play from the spot it went out.
Me:They're going to hike the ball from in the endzone?!
Old 05-01-2007, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I chuckled, but managed to keep it under my breath. Then the megadonk on my right tried to pay for his beer with tournament chips and I just burst out laughing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Off topic a little, but I just want to state that if I hear the joke from another player asking to "cash out" his tournament chips I just may strangle him/her.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I chuckled, but managed to keep it under my breath. Then the megadonk on my right tried to pay for his beer with tournament chips and I just burst out laughing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You win this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Why is that bad strategy? If it works it's like plus infinity and if it doesn't you get a dirty look and pay for the beer with real money. Are you saying one dirty look is worth infinity dollars?
Old 05-01-2007, 02:25 AM

I remember a few months back i was playing the Commerce 100NL

This older guy, around his 50s, was playing awful as usual. I forget how the discussion started, but he asked me what was better, A5 or A9?

I knew where he was going with this and said A5. He then asks me why. I wanted to hear his answer so i remained quite. He says "A9 is not as good as A5, because with A5 you can flop a straight and with A9 you cant"

Obv not the worst but i found it funny.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:48 AM

I love it when they twist some actual strategy around and mis-apply it. For instance, a calling station plays his gutshot draw to the river heads-up in $3-$6 limit, his opponent goes all-in with his last $1 chip at the end, and the calling station calls with 23, with zero hands that he could beat.

You have to call on the end for one bet when the pot gets big, right?
Old 05-01-2007, 02:56 AM

from a little $5 game I used to play:

After 4-5 people go all in preflop, 1 guy calls with 74o, after everyone flips their hands over (obv. big hands) he say's "I knew you all had big cards, now i'm the favorite b/c there's less big cards for y'all to hit.
Not particularly striking until i found out that he has been teaching high school math for 30 years.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
from a little $5 game I used to play:

After 4-5 people go all in preflop, 1 guy calls with 74o, after everyone flips their hands over (obv. big hands) he say's "I knew you all had big cards, now i'm the favorite b/c there's less big cards for y'all to hit.
Not particularly striking until i found out that he has been teaching high school math for 30 years.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually he may be right on. If the other 4 guys all have the same several high over cards, then they cannibalize each other's equity. The guy with 74o has two live cards, and if either one hits and no one has a high pocket pair, he's probably good. He can easily have greater than 20% equity there.