Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 02:15 PM

Default $10NL Flopped Set Monotone Board

I'm working on a bunch of stuff in my game. I've been 'bobbing' last 5k hands w/in $100. Popped in $200 more and started playing more aggro last 1500 hands - bleeding quickly at -6BB and not due to variance. Lots of issues - one is extracting value and another is knowing when to fold.

Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 4 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

BB: $5.25
UTG: $23.20
BTN: $7.30
Hero (SB): $10.65

Pre-Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
<font color="red">BB raises to $0.20</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.40) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BB bets $0.20</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to $1.80</font>, Hero?

If it wasn't a push above
Turn: Hero?

What's the best way to extract here? At what point to I become worried if I've called the flop and a scare card comes on the turn (in other words, if there's $5 in the pot and say $50 behind instead of $3 and $3)? If it is a diamond let it go to an oversized bet or check-call and hope it doesn't get too pricey on the river?

Without commenting on this hand's results: my lean right now is to shove (edit: in those $50 behind situations) and I wind up losing people (or trapping myself lol).

Edit: Yeah, I hadn't been calling OOP with PP but didn't want to raise because of stack sizes not being deep enough.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Re: $10NL Flopped Set Monotone Board

If you're calling out of the SB to play a heads up pot OOP with a small pocket pair (which isn't that great of an idea) - why aren't you pushing in on this flop? You flopped a set and now you're going to fold? Then don't even play the hand in the first place.

BB could have almost any two cards that remotely hit this flop. He's representing something along the lines of a K with a high diamond here. He could have Adxd which would suck, but not likely because I think he would just call your checkraise.

His range is really wide, him 3betting you on this flop seems semi-standard considering that it looks like you're just trying to steal here - not allowing any diamond to draw. If you call here and no diamond comes on the turn, I would lead in for the full pot.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:24 PM

I'm pushing and going broke here all the time.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:27 PM

His stack size makes this a bit rough. If he has the flush, then we have 7 outs on the turn against him, and will have 10 outs on the river if we don't hit on the turn. So, we have outs, and outs-to-outs. Since he could definitely play Kx and flushdraws like this, I'm content jamming on the flop. If we lead the turn, then we'll be compelled to call his push if he comes over the top.

The action is messed up preflop; you acted before he did but the converter shows otherwise. You should have raised him preflop with your pocket pair.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:29 PM

I 4bet shove this flop and hope he doesn't flush up or the board pairs
Old 11-19-2007, 02:30 PM

Push, if he has the flush you got a lot of outs. 3 Kings, 3 Nines, 1 five, and 3 of whatever the turn is on the river!
Old 11-19-2007, 03:12 PM

In my head, I'd been more aggressive with PP. Checking in with the stats shows a slightly different story.
22, 33, 44, 55, 3 or more off the button
VPIP 75, PFR 17 RFI 17

22, 33, 44, 55, 2 or less off the button
VPIP 100, PFR 75 RFI 75

e.g.
Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

MP: $10.60
CO: $7.95
BTN: $9.60
SB: $9.90
BB: $10.05
Hero (UTG): $17.30

Pre-Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (UTG)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $0.40</font>, 3 folds, SB calls $0.35, BB folds

Flop: ($0.90) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $0.40</font>, SB calls $0.40

Turn: ($1.70) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $1</font>, SB calls $1

River: ($3.70) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, Hero ?

Bet sizing again. I'm hoping he has a T and that he thinks he's up against AA, AK, KK, QQ, JJ or something like that. I'm not sure what else he can have here unless he puts me on exactly AJ+

(Should this be in another thread?)