Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2006, 03:21 PM

Default Perhaps going to LHE, old party SN, general thoughts.

Firstly, I retired my party name: mountain188. I played full ring 2/4, 2/4 6-max, and 5/10 6-max. Does anyone have notes on me that they'd like to share?

I might be moving to NL for a few reasons.
1) I've been running bad/playing so-so.
2) to be discussed below...

I'd like to reflect on my history in the past few months, as long as I'm going to do this. I've been a little burned out in the games, been running poorly, having some issues with tilt and motivation to play, and in general having a tough time. This has made me just a little bitter, and a few of my last posts in the micros weren't nice.

This has probably caused me to make some rude comments to a few people (some in PMs) also, I'm not not too pleased with it.

Part of my problem with poker ise that I'm stagnating at my current skill level. This is a variety of hubris and stubbornness. I spend a lot of time finding little things that you can do here and there that are pretty neat but quite rare, and not enough time absorbing the perfect way to play the more common hands.

I think it would be neat to go to a different type of game where I'm able to let go of my prejudices and really observe what's going on there, and hear some of what people have to say with a more open mind. The best way to do this is to play a game that I'm not "advanced" (or whatever) in. This could have a double benefit as I return to limit later on with a more open mind after playing different structures of holdem and I've had time to just forget a few things so I can listen again.

There's a lot of great posters here who have helped me, and there have been some neat discussions on this topic, that I greatly enjoy (I enjoy analyzing the games more than playing them, I think).

Thanks, guys.

I'm not totally convinced that I have to drop limit right now, but I'm pretty sure I have to drop my ego.

An alternative plan would be to set a bancrupt point at which I would switch over to low limit no limit (since it's a game you can play with a small bankroll) and move up and single-table, maybe at 10/20 full or a little higher (say 13/26 8.5 max).

It's possible I may stay where I am, too, but I guess I'm just sort of reflecting on my situation and the barriers that I have to my personal progress. If you guys would like to discuss anything along these lines, please go ahead and post them here.

And of course, if you have notes on mountain188, I'd be glad to hear them! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-29-2006, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Perhaps going to LHE, old party SN, general thoughts.

david,

don't remember that sn specifically, but i'll look in my db when i get home. i have been playing some NL too recently. i'm trying to work the free $20 i got from empire into a SSNL bankroll.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:49 PM

There's a simple answer..don't play on party. Get 100% rb or close and play. You'll never have a losing week..and losing days of 2k+ hands will be rare.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:57 PM

Hey man, a fresh start is always a good thing. It sounds to me like that's what you need. You're obviously a good player in your games, but I completely understand what running bad for extended periods can do to one psychologically. I'd love to have the balls to pack up in limit and give NL a shot, but I feel like I've put so much time and effort in that it would be silly to give up now. I also lack the interest in learning NL - it just doesn't seem as fun as limit to me (as sick as that may sound).

Making the switch (permanent or temporarily) will almost certainly be a positive thing for you - whether you have mediocre results and move back to limit feeling refreshed, or if you enjoy the game and run well and never look back.

Best of luck with whatever you pursue.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:05 PM

I've also contemplated moving to NL permanently. I dabble in it now. The problem for me is that I promised myself I wouldn't begin taking NL seriously until I was convinced I was an excellent LHE player. I'm an average at best LHE player, and sometimes I feel like I'm getting worse rather than better. It seemed like a little over a year ago, between the books I was reading and twoplustwo my game was growing by the day, now I'm not so sure I have what it takes to be an "advanced" LHE player. I'm not givnig up by any means, just discouraged lately.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe at 10/20 full or a little higher (say 13/26 8.5 max)

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2006, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem for me is that I promised myself I wouldn't begin taking NL seriously until I was convinced I was an excellent LHE player.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto. I want to wait until I'm comfortably in the 10/20 game. I've had the $10k bankroll I want for it a few times now, only to go on a wicked downslide and stay at 5/10.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:51 PM

I recognized the name straight away and generally avoid sitting with you. In fact, I've got less than 50 hands actually playing with you, although more mined.

Sorry I can't be more help. FWIW, I'm getting stacked left and right lately at 25NL.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:14 PM

I think you have to ask yourself what game you want to play. What game excites you? What game can you see yourself spending hours reading and talking about? I think that's different for everyone. Maybe you have to play some NL to see if the game is right for you. I did and it’s not for me at least not the cash game form. Whatever game you choose, though, you have to be committed to getting better everyday if you want to be great at it.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:26 PM

If tilt is at all a factor of your problems, don't touch nl!