Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2006, 06:50 AM

Default Your biggest -BB swing!

So I have went backwards -700 BB in less than a month, like 3 weeks at 10-20 and 5-10. Prior to this my winrate while 4 tabling has been 2.1 BB over 200k hands @ 5-10 and 1.6 at 10-20 around 125k hands. It seems ever since this monster thing took off it has caused me to run bad, or atleast thats my excuse, am I the only one getting ass raped like this here of late? I have also had been watched for a couple days by a well respected poster, and he states that there is nothing I am doing to warrant this, he and I play similar I just need to continue working a few minor things. This is all in like 25k hands worth of play. So has anyone else experienced this?
Old 08-19-2006, 07:35 AM

Default Re: Your biggest -BB swing!

standard...
Old 08-19-2006, 08:41 AM

-625BB over about 16k hands and currently 70k hand breakeven

fun times

the poker gods just mess with you they want to make sure you arent being lazy and complacent, so keep working hard and if you keep running bad work harder
Old 08-19-2006, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I have went backwards -700 BB in less than a month

[/ QUOTE ]

This post makes me feel a little better. I've been sliding for 5 weeks now (5 of 7 weeks, with a 2 week hiatus) with the combined BB loss around 325. I would say that at least 50% is due to a run of bad cards, and the other 50% I can take credit for (either playing overly aggressive, overly loose, calling down).

The one positive from all this is that I've begun looking at myself for the solution.

Question to you, poster: How much of the 700BB loss is a direct result of poor decisions?
Old 08-19-2006, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So I have went backwards -700 BB in less than a month

[/ QUOTE ]

This post makes me feel a little better. I've been sliding for 5 weeks now (5 of 7 weeks, with a 2 week hiatus) with the combined BB loss around 325. I would say that at least 50% is due to a run of bad cards, and the other 50% I can take credit for (either playing overly aggressive, overly loose, calling down).

The one positive from all this is that I've begun looking at myself for the solution.

Question to you, poster: How much of the 700BB loss is a direct result of poor decisions?

[/ QUOTE ]

well I have went thru my tracker and looked at 2 tables in the past 2 days where I specifically was being owned by a 50/6 player on both tables. I watched every hand on 1 table and watched partially on the iother table, also as I mentioned a very respected post on here observed me thru another computer that and I went to his house another night for quite a few hours and was simply running bad. My conclusion thus far from my little bit of studying this week leads me to belive about -150 BB maybe a result of my poor play and a direct result of the motion of the swings. I also think is Gods way of humbling ones self.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:56 AM

Heifer, My advice would be to drop back a bit until you get your confidence back up. And maybe some praying might help too! Let the gods know you have been humbled...
Old 08-19-2006, 12:56 PM

HEIFER,

I went through a -750bb swing in January, it was a truly humbling experience. More than anything, it taught me to never become complacent with my game, and to not look to variance as an explanation for running bad...there is no excuse for failing to improve your game on a daily basis. Also, I had gotten a bit cocky about my game and was sitting in some games where if I was +EV it was probably to the tune of .5BB/100-1BB/100.

Also, it's easy to get on "downswing tilt" which deteriorates your game in subtle ways - perhaps not continuation betting the turn in spots where you normally would because you "feeel" the c/r coming, or calling down light the few times you are c/r'd, etc.

I'd move down to 5/10, or even 3/6, just to book a winning session and get some confidence back. Look over blocks of your hands from a few days ago and objectively analyze your play.

FWIW once I got my head screwed on straight and started improving my game again and playing better it took me all of 5 days to dig myself out of the -750bb hole. It can feel like you're trying to climb a mountain, just play one hand at a time, one day at a time and you'll make it out eventually.

Surf
Old 08-19-2006, 01:07 PM

at a single limit, my largest downswing was about 450BB at 20/40. If I combined limits together it might be larger.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems ever since this monster thing took off it has caused me to run bad

[/ QUOTE ]

A rough guess would be that the monster itself is costing you around 0.6BB/100 @ 5/10 and 0.3BB/100 @ 10/20 in extra rake. Check your database and figure it out. I would say that anything less than 10/20 on a monster table is unplayable. Look at some new sites.

[ QUOTE ]
it took me all of 5 days to dig myself out of the -750bb hole

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this isn't BBV but... graph plz? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2006, 05:08 PM

I would suggest choosing to only play at NON-Monster tables. Filter it out...