Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2006, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Bankroll

[ QUOTE ]
I play fulltime and therefore keep ~1500bbs, moreso as a psychological cushion than a necessity. I personally don't really believe in good players (who practice game selection/don't tilt etc.) having +500bb downswings but I could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

It really depends on what your margin is. Most good/experienced players can beat 5/10 and lower for 1.5 bb/100 or more. But once you get above that you have to be pretty good to beat the games for more then 1 bb/100. If you’re taking out .5 bb/100 from a game, a 500BB swing is certainly possible.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I play fulltime and therefore keep ~1500bbs, moreso as a psychological cushion than a necessity. I personally don't really believe in good players (who practice game selection/don't tilt etc.) having +500bb downswings but I could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

It really depends on what your margin is. Most good/experienced players can beat 5/10 and lower for 1.5 bb/100 or more. But once you get above that you have to be pretty good to beat the games for more then 1 bb/100. If you’re taking out .5 bb/100 from a game, a 500BB swing is certainly possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely. Up to 5/10 though, I think that you're about as likely to hit a 500bb downswing playing good poker, as you are to win a national lottery.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:52 PM

active br in net is 6k but i'm still playing no higher than 2/4 with some shots at 3/6. For some reason can't seem to get a decent WR at 2/4...could be the rake and the sites I play on , although Party has been nasty too me recently.

A good portion of my BR I cashed out to earn interest and the fact I don't need it for 2/4 and 3/6.

I don't play for a living and both wife and I have nice jobs so it would seem I would only need 500bb BR.

My advice is 1500-2000BB for those playing for a living and 500BB for those using poker as a side-income.

Move down if you have a big downswing and I would always have at least 300bb at your current limit
Old 09-21-2006, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
active br in net is 6k but i'm still playing no higher than 2/4 with some shots at 3/6.

[/ QUOTE ]

Suddenly I don't feel so overrolled for 2/4 with my 2.8k. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I've only got 12.5k hands at 2/4 so I plan to stay there for the forseeable future.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:04 PM

thanks for all the posting, i always went with 200-250bb for sh/6max LHE. Playing with 500bb+ definatley has helped my tilt factor/confidence when im having a bad day or week.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
is $4000 enough for 3/6?

[/ QUOTE ]

def

[/ QUOTE ]

I havent played 3-6 for well over a year now, so I might be inclined to say you always need 1000 BB min to play nay level and try to live off your winnings. This has become more appearant to me as of here late. I played over 200k hands at 5-10 until dec last year 4 tabling and carried a +2.1 winrate. I moved up and then basically over spent and over bet my BR foolishly and had to drop back to 5-10. So for the first 3 weeks of 10, I lost -750 BB, then in 2 weeks won +600 back now over the past 6 days went backwards another -400 BB. I know my game selection is so much better now as well as post flop is always improving, but I have been getting my butt kicked and it is very humbling and for the past month and a half has been a constant reminder of the my stupidity for not having a big enough roll when i over spent and still played 30-60 or so with only 300 BB. It humbles me because i am able to play productively in those upper levels and generate a profit for sure, but since my pride and bank roll managment got in the way and this new legis coming on, I may be forced to go back to work in time if they pass it as i wont have hundreds of thousands to use on down the road. Bottom line no less than 1000 BB and a wise friend uses this strategy he has 1000 BB for his current level and a backup of 300 BB for a smaller level so he doesnt need backed basically. This is my very humbling experience. Hopefully some of the other players here can learn from this and stay out of trouble.

Heifer
Old 09-21-2006, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely. Up to 5/10 though, I think that you're about as likely to hit a 500bb downswing playing good poker, as you are to win a national lottery.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you 4 tabling 5-10 SH and a lot of the times you are playing 2 to 4 handed a 500 BB downswing is not uncommon for a good player.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:38 PM

Alright, time for a different viewpoint:

Big downswings happen, I've heard the horror stories here but they aren't the inevitability that 2+2 would have you believe. I've played over 250,000 hands of 6max without worse than a 250BB downswing.

I'd like to propose and alternate strategy. If you're a 3/6 player, go ahead and play with $2500. If you lose 150BB go play 2/4 with $1600, etc., etc. This way when you're tilting you'll be playing a lower limit and getting back into your comfort zone, and when you're winning and running well you'll maximize your winnings.

For those who want to play with a 1500BB bankroll, if you lose over 500BB are you still going to feel like playing? Are you going to be playing your best game?
Old 09-21-2006, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

For those who want to play with a 1500BB bankroll, if you lose over 500BB are you still going to feel like playing? Are you going to be playing your best game?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a really good point TME.
It's true that having a huge BR helps you to reduce the tilt factor. OTOH it also hepls you not to evaluate your game objectively. And then we hear the sad stories of ppl losing huge amounts and blaming variance. I mean for god's sake how can someone lose XXX BB and not bother drop limits, or get a coach or take a break or kill themselves etc.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A good portion of my BR I cashed out to earn interest and the fact I don't need it for 2/4 and 3/6.

[/ QUOTE ]

I too am way overolled for the limit I play and have thought about doing this but then figured that I am making a lot more than 5% PA using it all for online gambling AND i dont have to pay tax on profits where I live.