Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2006, 04:46 PM

Default Searching for a better way to play QQ

villian is a 23/15

Preflop (5 players): Hero is BB with
2 folds.
BTN 2 bets.
SB calls [3.13:1].
HERO 3 bets.
BTN caps.
SB calls [5.5:1].
HERO calls [12:1].

Flop (12 small bets in pot, 3 players):

SB checks.
HERO bets.
BTN 2 bets.
SB folds [7.5:1].
HERO 3 bets.
BTN calls [18:1].

Turn (9 bets in pot, 2 players):

HERO bets.
BTN 2 bets.
HERO calls [13:1].

River (13 bets in pot, 2 players):

HERO checks.
BTN bets.
HERO calls [15:1].

Summary:

BTN has Three of a kind, Nines [ ] and won (14.8bb)

<u>HERO has a pair of Queens [ ]</u>
Old 09-11-2006, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Searching for a better way to play QQ

Looks fine to me, I dont really see to many other options. Maybe against a very unimaginative incredibly passive player you could fold the river, but I think those are going to be very far and few between.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:17 PM

This is fine. This is the right amount of action against most opponents and against some opponents I might even put in more.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is fine. This is the right amount of action against most opponents and against some opponents I might even put in more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesnt this seem to be a little bit of an over play though, considering the flush and my preflop action he can beat queens here 100% of the time i think. EDIT: He might have Aj here on occasion, but he knows my stats being a tag that is the only hand i can put him on other than one that beats me.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:42 PM

I would checkraise the flop and then go into check/call mode vs any further aggression from him. The way you played it I would probably call his flop raise and donk a non A or K turn.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesnt this seem to be a little bit of an over play though, considering the flush and my preflop action he can beat queens here 100% of the time i think. EDIT: He might have Aj here on occasion, but he knows my stats being a tag that is the only hand i can put him on other than one that beats me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're being results-oriented. You bet into him on the flop, which is a line designed to induce action, and he gives it to you. His range there certainly includes the hands that you're afraid of, but it also includes things like AJ, TT, overcards (especially with a flush/staight draw), and QTs. Yeah, certain of those hands are less likely to have capped the action preflop, but as we've seen based on what he showed down here, he doesn't need AA or AKs to make that preflop cap, at least not in position in BSB warfare. So the 3-bet is fine.

He then raises you on the turn, which is troubling, but you'll still see AJ or A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] plenty often enough to make the calldown.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:44 PM

I would checkraise the flop and then go into check/call mode vs any further aggression. The way you played it I would probably just call the flop raise and donk a non A or K turn.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:29 PM

This looks awful to me. I wouldn't mind check calling down. Maybe I'm weak tight.

Krishan
Old 09-11-2006, 07:55 PM

Check-call down from the get go? That allows your opponents to play more or less perfectly against you. There is value to be had here.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:02 PM

I'd checkraise the flop here. You get the most value if button holds AK/AQ (or some other Ax) since he will usually bet/call but not raise. Its also unlikely that sb will fold anything you want him to fold if its two to him, so I'd rather try to extract 2 bets from him by checkraising (we have 2 queens so we need to discount a bunch of the straight draws as well...meaning a lot of sb's hands have few outs against us).

Also, I'd rather get 2-3 flop bets in here than 1-4 (assuming your plan is to bet/3bet).