Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2006, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Your biggest -BB swing!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
it took me all of 5 days to dig myself out of the -750bb hole

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this isn't BBV but... graph plz? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the original BBV post.

I guess it was 6 days, not 5. In the OP i say 2 weeks but I took 3-4 days off, then did coaching only for a few days, and spent my normal poker time reviewing my old hand / stox's db / 2p2 archives and going over my game with a fine-toothed comb.

Surf

Also, here's the graph if you don't feel like reading the original:

Old 08-19-2006, 06:38 PM

Very nice recovery!!
Old 08-20-2006, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
HEIFER,

I went through a -750bb swing in January, it was a truly humbling experience. More than anything, it taught me to never become complacent with my game, and to not look to variance as an explanation for running bad...there is no excuse for failing to improve your game on a daily basis. Also, I had gotten a bit cocky about my game and was sitting in some games where if I was +EV it was probably to the tune of .5BB/100-1BB/100.

Also, it's easy to get on "downswing tilt" which deteriorates your game in subtle ways - perhaps not continuation betting the turn in spots where you normally would because you "feeel" the c/r coming, or calling down light the few times you are c/r'd, etc.

I'd move down to 5/10, or even 3/6, just to book a winning session and get some confidence back. Look over blocks of your hands from a few days ago and objectively analyze your play.

FWIW once I got my head screwed on straight and started improving my game again and playing better it took me all of 5 days to dig myself out of the -750bb hole. It can feel like you're trying to climb a mountain, just play one hand at a time, one day at a time and you'll make it out eventually.

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

Thansk for your encouragement Surf. I really do stay off the monster tables without a proper monkey sitting in a good seat for me. Although I have played plenty of hands at both levels, going thru this bad spell has a way of humbling ones self. It's also one thing to hear about other pros suffering huge swings like this but it is kind of soothing to have someone go thru thier personal bad stretch, it gives hope. Thanks for everyone else who replied to this as well.