Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-25-2007, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Official World Cup 2010 Qualifying Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know how they calculate the "best 8" of the 9 runners up? It can't just be on points, since that would be unfair against group 9. Is it something like how many points they get v 1st, 3rd and 4th in the group?

Not that it matters since we'll win our group... but just in case.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's best v 1,3,4 & 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

ty - makes sense.

England v Scotland playoff would be fun.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty happy with Scotland's draw. Holland haven't been anything special, and hopefully they won't improve much in the next year or so. There were much stronger teams than Norway in pot 3 that I'm glad we've avoided (especially Serbia), and I'm fairly confident of taking 12 points from our fixtures with Iceland and Macedonia.

A couple of years from now I hope I'm not looking back at this post wondering how I could be so over-confident.

[/ QUOTE ]
As a Norwegian, we are pretty happy with facing Scotland, as well [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] We're not happy with being in the third seeding group, though, as we were just moved down from the second group. We just missed the Euros cut, mainly because of huge goalkeeping errors in the two games against Turkey.

I think group 9 is fairly open. Holland isn't very strong these days, we'll see in the Euros. Unless they improve, Holland/Scotland/Norway could all take the group.

I'm also worried about how they rank group runner ups. I read that they supposedly rank them by average points/game. However, that isn't really fair either as our group runner up would get two games less against the easiest opponents.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:20 PM

As a Norwegian who lives in Scotland our group could turn real interesting, hopefully Scotland/Norway will go 1/2nd and the dutch will blow up
Old 11-25-2007, 02:37 PM

CONCAF qualifying is more confusing then UEFA.
For example Domininca plays Barbados in a home and home then the winner plays a home and home vs the USA and the winner will be one of 4 teams in group 1. Then the top 2 teams in each group get though to the final qualifying stage.

Group 1
Dominica/Barbados vs. USA
Turks and Caicos Islands/S. Lucia vs. Guatemala
Bermuda/Cayman Islands vs. Trinidad and Tobago
Aruba/Antigua and Barbuda vs. Cuba

Group 2
Belize/St. Kitts and Nevis vs. Mexico
Bahamas/British Virgin Islands vs. Jamaica
Dominican Republic/Puerto Rico vs. Honduras
Canada vs. St Vincent and Grenadines

Group 3
US Virgin Islands/Grenada vs. Costa Rica
Suriname/Montserrat vs. Guyana
El Salvador/Anguilla vs. Panama
Nicaragua/Netherlands Antilles vs. Haiti

Canada has a tough draw, and the US will likely play down in Havana which will be interesting to say the least.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:16 PM

Well that's probably the best we could have hoped for, although thats what was said about the Euro group. Why does England suck so bad traveling to eastern Europe?

Also I look forward to the England-Kazakhstan home game for the hilarious Borat references and costumes.....NOT!

Also can someone explain CONCAF qualification to me? 4 teams qualify with random matches during/after the group phase? Also will they let USA play in Havana or Cuba play in the US? May end up on neutral ground I suppose
Old 11-25-2007, 06:30 PM

How many Cubans will be left on their team a week after they play at the US? Similarly, how many North Koreans will abandon after they play in Seoul?

guilt,

Concacaf is confusing. Bump Bailey has given you the draw. So the US plays the winner of Dominica and Barbados in a home and home. The winner there is put into a group with the 3 other winners. These four teams play in a group, playing each team twice. The top two teams from that group are put with the top 2 teams in the other two groups to make a 6-team group. There you play everybody twice. Top 3 go to the finals and fourth plays the 5th team from South America.

It's actually not that far off from the Champions League when they did the group stage twice. It's basically:
Qualifying Round 1 (QR1)- bottom 24 teams versus each other
Qualifying Round 2 (QR2)- top 12 teams each face a winner from QR1
Group Stage 1 (GS1) - winners from QR2 put into 3 four-team groups
Group Stage 2 (GS2) - top two from each group in GS1 put in one 6-team group.

Top 3 advance, fourth plays 5th team from South America.

It would be much easier to grasp if they just played the rounds then did the draws.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:33 PM

guilt,

I forgot to comment on England. I think they have trouble traveling to Eastern Europe because it's really freaking far away, the weather is often bad, and relative to before the gap in quality is much smaller.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:00 PM

Yes, really unfortunate grouping for Canada. Why did they use the May rankings as the basis for the seeding and not the latest ranking, or the ranking following the Gold Cup?? The European seedings were based on the latest rankings.

Anyway, not an impossible task, but with the dubious officiating in CONCACAF, I think it will be tough for us to qualify.

What about the Aussie group? Maybe they will now regret joining the Asian federation. Not going to be easy for them either...
Old 11-25-2007, 07:09 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
Is it still expected to take place in South Africa, or are they too far behind in getting the infrastructure built?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sepp Blatter is insistent that WC 2010 is going to be in South Africa, barring a major catastrophe.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:53 PM

Cheers JaredL. The whole CONCACAF thing has confused the hell out of me for years. Just seemed very random with all the groups, leagues, matches and what not. They described how Trinidad&Tobago qualified at the last world cup and I was really stupified by the organisation

On an unrelated note boo you and your avatar (See Loc)