Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 08:07 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost
Default Re: Why soccer is the best sport for kids

[ QUOTE ]
because the parents don't know anything about soccer!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see that holding them back, to be honest. I've seen little league games where parents are yelling at their kids to "Tag up! Tag up!" when there are two outs.

Mostly I would say that the soccer parents that I've seen are marginally better than baseball parents, but the difference isn't that big.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:11 PM

There is nothing wrong with teaching children to be very competitive and deal with combative environments.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is nothing wrong with teaching children to be very competitive and deal with combative environments.

[/ QUOTE ]

True.

There's also nothing wrong than avoiding life-tilting situations. I can't imagine having to be around parents that I had to deal with as a kid in youth sports.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:11 PM

A couple of the guys I know from our adult soccer league have kids who are 2 or 3 or something and play in some sort of soccer league where they pretty much just run around, and into each other, trying to kick a ball.

They seemed to think that pretty much every parent who has ever had a kid in such a league can agree that it's absolutely hilarious.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:58 PM

Sometimes soccer can turn really ugly because the parents that know something will know A LOT more than the other parents and most likely the coach.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:29 PM

soccer is the best sport for kids with no arms no doubt
Old 10-05-2007, 04:45 AM

Soccer is the best sport for kids who suck at sports since they can blend in and they pretty much never get put into a tough spot where they have to make an individual play. Unlike baseball where the whole game is a series of individual plays. So yeah, if your kid is awkward, stick him on the soccer field he might not find out his awkwardness until high school.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Soccer is the best sport for kids who suck at sports since they can blend in and they pretty much never get put into a tough spot where they have to make an individual play. Unlike baseball where the whole game is a series of individual plays. So yeah, if your kid is awkward, stick him on the soccer field he might not find out his awkwardness until high school.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's funny, i've seen plenty of kids get owned 1 on 1 on the soccer field. seriously, have you played soccer? i've coached youth soccer teams-- the weaker players don't blend in, even when the game is being played in disarray. if your kid is unatheltic, he's going to bet exposed no matter what sport he plays.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As tarheels said, have you watched youth soccer? In addition to just get owned 1 v 1, imagine missing the net after you've beaten the keeper. Or passing the ball to the opposition in your own box. Or any sort of own goal.

There's plenty of moments for individual embarrassment in soccer.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As tarheels said, have you watched youth soccer? In addition to just get owned 1 v 1, imagine missing the net after you've beaten the keeper. Or passing the ball to the opposition in your own box. Or any sort of own goal.

There's plenty of moments for individual embarrassment in soccer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? If your kid sucks enough he will never be in position to make any of these plays except perhaps passing the ball to an opposition player (and obv being owned 1 on 1, but at an early age, there aren't many 1 on 1's in soccer).