Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 10-23-2007, 12:09 AM

Default Re: X-Post: poker pro - hardest job there is?

This is the most wonderful job I have ever had, and it is not even close. FWIW, I have worked in retail, construction, sales, telemarketing, fast food, university research, and most recently, design engineering. I feel very fortunate that I am a poker pro.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

When I was comparing it to a surgeon's job, I was accepting that a surgeon has an emotional aspect to his job.

What I consider more difficult, is making new complex/difficult decisions each time I play... unlike a surgeons who are doing the same procedure they've probably done 100x before (vasectomy, remove appendix, install breast implants, etc).

If I could come to play poker today and get dealt the exact same hands I was dealt yesterday, and my opponents the same - and just follow the same process I'd done before... wow, it would be easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you truely think this, I suggest you take a visit to A&E of your local hospital - just remind yourself what a dumb-ass statement you made on this thread.

Production-line surgery like you have outlined is one thing, but just take a moment to reflect if (god forbid) someone close to you gets something like cancer.

Check/raise doesn't seem so tough now huh
Old 10-23-2007, 03:45 AM

Being a poker pro is easy easy easy if you are playing comfortably within your bankroll AND you're a winning player.

Conversely, being a poker pro is hard hard hard if you're a losing player OR your net worth is insufficient to allow you to comfortably play in games that are big enough to earn a living from.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fire dude : Sit around even more. Go have fun fighting fire when bells rings - cool job.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's fun, falling through an unsecured stairwell into a room with no door, with less than 15 minutes left in the tank, crushing your ankle on impact as you see black smoke develop overhead and feel your skin slowly warming to the flames above, wondering if a rescue squad is going to get to you in time.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:18 AM

The difficult part of being a pro is dealing with the swings. The actual playing part is pretty easy
Old 10-23-2007, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't feel like quoting:

Minimum wage in Australia is like $15 per hour, and does not equal poverty wages as it does in America.

To become professional poker, you must be in the top 5% of all players. There is no way you can be less than that good. There is no other profession that limits it's person that much. So no, professional poker is not easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds more like professional poker is not a good idea in australia, rather than "professional poker is not easy'

I'm about to get my MAcc, and I guarantee you that playing poker professionaly is 100x easier than accouting.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's psychologically difficult at times, but that's it. Funny thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT when things dont go you way for a long time it sucks and can be kinda stressful but overall we are "fairly" componsated, for our time and troubles
Old 10-23-2007, 05:03 AM

If you have talent (let's say artistical) that would contribute to society then I guess playing poker instead is "hard" because you're pretty much committing a crime against humanity through your inaction.

With a "great" rakeback deal it's a [censored] easy way to make ok money 10-tabling microlimits.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:34 AM

lol, i post 30 cent blinds and could easily make $1,000 a month.

I dont try.
I play 3 hours a day tops.
I play 6 days a week tops.
I dont play 12 tables.
I'm pretty much surfing the net as 1 priority (posting here right now) and play my hands well as second priority.

I think if I wanted to i could make 2, maybe 3g a month. Prolly take 100k hands though, but w/e.

IMO this is a joke.

Try managing a company.
Or working in some [censored] factory.
Or hunting taliban.
Or working on a ship desrted from family for months.
Or in an E.R w/ ppl dying at your hands day in and day out.
Or a teacher in a [censored] neighborhood dealing with bull [censored] every day.
Or a person who takes care of old ppl, changing their underwear/diapers, etc...
Or anything else besides poker.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:24 AM

Its not the hardest job, and its not the most noble, but it is a job where you really earn every cent you make. I think that would have been a better way of writing what the op wrote.

There are other jobs where you can mail it in on a day if you want. If you do this, you still get your pay check.

As a poker player, you're gonna pay for it. You get lazy, you auto-pilot, your results show.

Being a poker player would be a lot like being a pro golfer with out sponsorships, etc, where your only source of income is when you place in the money. You earn every cent you get.