Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Ask a College Basketball Coach

Schools do not lose scholarships when a player leaves for the NBA. Unless a team has been sanctioned or has lost enough APR points, every team has 13 scholarships to give every year.

You do, however, lose APR points when players do not graduate or when academically ineligible players transfer...this is a new system that will cause teams to lose scholarships in a year or two.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If they did lose the scholarship, schools like Florida and North Carolina would have few scholarships left, so I don't think they lose it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The USA Today story the other day reported Florida basketball as having a 100% graduation rate based on the latest time frame.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:12 PM

How much do you make now?
Old 10-05-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much do you make now?

[/ QUOTE ]10K + free masters degree [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2007, 08:31 PM

Do you feel US coaches are too self-serving, in that they (my observation and opinion, mind you) train players to play a role in THEIR team as opposed train them to be the best possible player? I feel the only reason more Lebrons don't exist is due to the simple thinking, "Oh, you're tall (6'6"+) you're going to be a center." You're hard pressed to find a player with both the physique and well-rounded game of the foreign players.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If they did lose the scholarship, schools like Florida and North Carolina would have few scholarships left, so I don't think they lose it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The USA Today story the other day reported Florida basketball as having a 100% graduation rate based on the latest time frame.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was just using them as an example because they had 3-4 juniors leave the team for the NBA this season. I had no idea what their graduation rate is.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How stupid are the players?

[/ QUOTE ]None of them are really that stupid, although some do lack common sense. Remember, they all have to qualify via grades to play Div 1.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, so how much help do they get from profs/students that other students don't receive? Come on, what a cop-out answer.

From talking to friends that played D1 football, there's not a doubt in my mind that athletes get both breaks on requirements and extra help.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Coaches aren't allowed to actually coach the players until Midnight Madness, right?

It's also true that your players have been in the gym every week since the season finished in March, right?

So what do you do from March until October? How do the players know what to work on?

[/ QUOTE ] no, this is incorrect. Once a team's season is over, the coaches cannot coach until the end of the NCAA tournament. When that is finished, we have 4 weeks of "individual" workouts where we can workout 4 players at a time. I believe we are allowed to work with them for 120 minutes/wk for those 4 weeks.

During summer, we are not allowed to coach at all.

When school starts again, we have individual workouts for a few weeks (120 minutes/wk) and then we can start working with the whole team at the same time about a month into school. Again, each player can only be worked out for 120 minutes per week until the first official day of practice.

The players do weights and have open gym in the interim, but none of this can be mandatory.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what's the significance of Midnight Madness?
Old 10-05-2007, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you feel US coaches are too self-serving, in that they (my observation and opinion, mind you) train players to play a role in THEIR team as opposed train them to be the best possible player? I feel the only reason more Lebrons don't exist is due to the simple thinking, "Oh, you're tall (6'6"+) you're going to be a center." You're hard pressed to find a player with both the physique and well-rounded game of the foreign players.

[/ QUOTE ]I think a coach's role is to do what is best for their team...the player has a choice when he picks his college...many college coaches do tons of individual stuff, and some only work on team stuff
Old 10-05-2007, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How stupid are the players?

[/ QUOTE ]None of them are really that stupid, although some do lack common sense. Remember, they all have to qualify via grades to play Div 1.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, so how much help do they get from profs/students that other students don't receive? Come on, what a cop-out answer.

From talking to friends that played D1 football, there's not a doubt in my mind that athletes get both breaks on requirements and extra help.

[/ QUOTE ]yes, they are offered extra help in the form of tutors/etc...since they cannot work part time jobs and afford their own, the athletic department normally provides them. yes, they get the first opportunity to register for classes.

Getting "extra breaks on requirements" is against the rules and is cheating imo...I (we) do not do that, so I cant speak for that.