Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 11-23-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #3 Turn

[ QUOTE ]
Damn, I am stuck here. We really cant charge him without commiting ourself to call the push.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would be so bad about that? Can you really see a set min-raising the flop, and then checking that turn? I could be wrong but I don't. I insta-call a push.

Kirk

PS: set = a hand that beats ours, not "set" per se.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:01 PM

I really expected a bet but it looks like he wants to slow down.

His range is wide, but I would expect a bet here if he had a made hand on the flop, so I put him on a draw. It fits in with the check raise on the flop. I can see a straight flush draw playing it that way. A pair of nines that is now scared of the queen also fits.

Problem with checking behind is that if a scare card falls I'll probably have to let it go to a strong bet. And if a safe card hits and he pushes Im going to puke, and probably call anyway. So I might as well bet.

I bet 500. I like this size bet because it has a strong potential to take it down now, it gets value out of the times we are ahead and he calls, it can induce a bluff by a heart draw (although this is scary I think we have enough equity to call against his range), and is what I would normally bet if I was bluffing. If he pushes I call.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Damn, I am stuck here. We really cant charge him without commiting ourself to call the push.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would be so bad about that? Can you really see a set min-raising the flop, and then checking that turn? I could be wrong but I don't. I insta-call a push.

Kirk

[/ QUOTE ]

In case he has a set and he thinks we have nothing (we only called the miniraise) it is still a good opportunity to induce a bet. He appears weak by checking so we can try to buy the pot (it represents one third of our remaining stack now), specially if the Q helped us or we want to pretend it did. Then his eventual check-raise if we call commits us to the pot.

He could be doing that with AA as well, I've noticed a lot of people flat calling with AA (even QQ or KK) to extract maximum value from the hand.

He may have nothing, but it makes sens to me when you hit a set in level 1 to try to extract maximum value from it. It is worthwile to take some risks here.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kirk

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally agree. I think this dynamic (the fact that villan is more likely to lead with a made hand into a draw heavy board)...BUT.......

The board is draw heavy for a lot of hands. Not necesarily draw heavy for hands that raise PF. If I am in the BB, I dont really think hero has a great draw. This board scares me in situations when there were 2+ people limping in, not HU in a raised pot. If I have a hand like a set of nines, I would be willing to give another free card if I thought hero would make a good 2nd best hand on river.

Im not saying that villan would play a made hand like this, but as we know people rarely play as we think they should. If villan pushes, I am only slightly discounting his range of made hands relative to great draws (and 2nd best made hands).

I am not planning to fold to a CR, but I am definitely not crazy about having to make it. If there was a line I thought could avoid calling a 2nd check-raise push, which still charged him to draw, I would take it.

With the current stacks, we have to decide. If we charge enough no punish his draws, we have to call the push. I think the fact that some of the pushed will be hands like AQh, etc. Make betting better than checking behind
Old 02-01-2007, 12:57 PM

I've very unlikely he hold's a set of 7's or 5's as you hold one of each of those. I really think he's drawing at this point and if he has a set of 9's I'm going to get busted on this hand as there are so many more likely hands.

Easy push here.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:29 PM

I think he's weak. But we've bet all the way, so he may be letting Hero bleed himself dry. I bet 400-500 pot and hope for a fold. There aren't many river cards that don't help something he could have.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:32 PM

I would highly doubt he has anything huge. Maybe a pair and a straight draw. In any case, I would bet because there's way too many draws possible. The check-raise looks like he's trying to steal it from you on the flop. Personally, I would put him on something like 98, where he wouldn't mind seeing another card to see if he can hit his straight. That seems like too weird a play for him to be a bigtime player.