Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 11-21-2005, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #3 Flop

[ QUOTE ]
I think some people won't be happy with these threads until we have a hand that breaks out into a fistfight or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

There may or may not be a fatality that occurs during this hand. You'll have to wait to find out!
Old 11-21-2005, 05:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I love SH tourneys because playing all types of crap early can win you all kinds of action later. You develop table relationships with every player at the table. You get a really feel for the ebb and flow of the table. However, in a 9/10 handed table, I sit back and fold this stuff early.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isnt a good justification for folding 75s early. I mean, these relationships u develop at a SH tourney... Can't you develop them in a 9 handed tourney w deep stacks and a good blind structure?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. This is a style I've gotten away from and that shouldn't be the case. It is a very hard adaptation, just adding in those 3 extra players. I love SH NL play. I'm not sure I ever figured out how to play full-ring NL.

This should be a raise PF, and I promise to do it next time. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2005, 07:31 AM

I strongly disagree with the idea of "playing tight early." Daniel N., for instance, makes an excellent point that at the beginning is when there's the most "dead money" around - someone will get it, so try to be the one. The benefit of making these plays early, too, is that with the blinds this low there's plenty of room for post-flop play.

Flop: my usual cont. bet would be around 120 - 140. Bet 140.

If called, jam the turn. If check-raised, 3-bet to show I'm serious about this and fold if he raises all-in.

Nice hand, Lloyd! Thanks!

Kirk
Old 11-21-2005, 07:57 AM

Preflop: fine.

Flop: Bet plenty on this draw heavy board, at least 2/3 pot, I don't mind overbetting either. 3-bet a raise, fold to a 4-bet, I assume A9 and TT-AA don't 4-bet.

Turn: Bet if checked to, re-evaluate if villain bets or raises.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:14 AM

problem here is if opponent is capable of jamming on you with a draw... and 99% are
Old 11-21-2005, 08:42 AM

I"m not so sure this is a blind steal I think it is more of a way to mask good and speculative hands. You'll get some loose calls early when you make a raise with the blinds at 10/20 and could take a good size pot from a guy who thinks he is trapping.

On this flop I like my hand. I'd fire off a half pot bet or maybe 100 if I felt like the guy had an inkling not to believe I had a hand or thinks I'm betting on the come with a draw.

If villain calls I would feel very good about my hand. figuring him for a pair or some sort of draw. I would think if he flopped a set he would check raise. So if he does that I would slow down on the turn and practice some pot control.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:33 AM

First off, I don't think this is a pure blind steal. With the blinds this high, I think you either get to see a relatively cheap flop with a hand that has a lot of potential, as well as a small chance to just take it down immediately. It also paves the way for a continuation bet when you miss and an ace comes.

Anyway, in this case, I definitely want to play this hand for a big pot, and no time like the present to start that. I bet half to two thirds of the pot (125 in this case). If he has a hand, we might as well start building it instead of giving him a free card for his flush or inside straight draw. Also, he might give us some action with two overcards with a high heart giving him the backdoor possibility. This hand we definitely want to stick around, because if they hit one of their overcards on the turn, we should get some more money in the pot.

My plan on the turn is to make another bet assuming its a complete blank. If one of the insides straight cards come i might check behind to try and induce a bluff on the river. If the heart comes I'm still betting out on the turn another half to two thirds pot bet.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:59 AM

1) A lot of people talk about playing tight early and don't try to steal blinds when they are this small. What do you think about blind stealing at this level? Would you do it and if so under what conditions?

I don't think its so much blind stealing as speculative play with position and fun cards that can make big hands. Early in the tourney is the best time to play these hands due to the cost of entering the pot vs. implied odds. This is especially usefull if you know how to use position to your advanatage.
I like the raise vs. the limp here as it buys the button and gives more credence to a cont bet if we whiff the flop. If we hit, we already have a larger pot to build on. Plus it has cut down the opponents, so we don't *really* have to worry about wierd hands getting lucky. All kinds of good things happen when you raise.

2) What's your decision on the flop? Do you check or bet (and if so, how much)?

Bet the flop about 3/4 pot because I bet there 95% of the time.

3) What's your plan on the turn (if any) based on your decision on the flop, the villain's action, and what card comes?

If flat called and the turn bricks, and I am checked to I probably bet again, if some card comes that makes more than one draw I may check, planning to call a reasonable bet on the river

4) Any other thoughts at this point?

I really hope the 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] comes off the deck next. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 11-21-2005, 10:59 AM

1) From the CO I like open-raising with this hand even though it's early. For one, if called this hand can flop big. Secondly, I want to test the players that are going to be in my blinds and see if they defend. If you always fold from LP in an unopened pot except for when you have the goods, you are not providing any cover for your good hands. I want the players in my blinds to be sick and tired of me and hope they will play back at me at the wrong time.

I also believe that opponents don't often put reads on the tight player as we might hope if we're trying to build that tight image for our advantage later. However, everybody notices the LAG player hammering on their blinds and this image can more often be used to exploit opponents.

2) I'm going to bet something like t130 to t170 due to the coordinated nature of the board with potential straight and flush draws. I have a big hand that might get paid off now by draws. If I try to trap and a scare card falls, it might help my opponent. If it doesn't help my opponent, it will make it less likely I get paid off.

3) If I fill up on the turn and my opponent checks, I will check behind and hope he makes a hand on the river. If I fill up and my opponent bets I will cold-call.

If a scare card falls and my opponent checks I will make a half-pot bet. If a scare card falls and my opponent bets I will raise and see what he does.

If a non-scare card falls and my opponent bets I will raise and see what happens. If a non-scare card falls and my opponent checks I will make a half-pot bet.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:07 AM

I don't typically steal at this blind level, maybe I should try it, with good speculative hands.

I would bet half the pot, in line with a continuation bet.

Turn play depends heavily on the next card, but I would continue to bet most turn cards.