Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

View Poll Results: We can go to the movies on Saturday
Yes 7 8.33%
No 5 5.95%
I am not tennenbaum and I want to see the results 72 85.71%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Which Presidential Candidates do you like?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nicky Barnes and Frank Lucas currently featured in the movie 'American Gangster' both endorse Rudy Giuliani for President. I've said before that I support him because he's the most honest, 'real person' candidate which makes him attractive to me. Every politician has got some politician in him but Rudy seems to have less. I hope he wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you follow politics at all or do you just skim mainstream headlines? Rudy is horrible and is certainly as politican as anyone in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's why he's tried backtracking on his pro-choice, anti-gun and pro gay rights positions. Unlike Mitt Romney who has stood by his principles. Plus, Rudy has a record of accomplishment.

However, I do love a good fantasy. It's one of my favorite genres and watching many of you ppl root on Ron Paul is entertaining.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nicky Barnes and Frank Lucas currently featured in the movie 'American Gangster' both endorse Rudy Giuliani for President. I've said before that I support him because he's the most honest, 'real person' candidate which makes him attractive to me. Every politician has got some politician in him but Rudy seems to have less. I hope he wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you follow politics at all or do you just skim mainstream headlines? Rudy is horrible and is certainly as politican as anyone in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's why he's tried backtracking on his pro-choice, anti-gun and pro gay rights positions. Unlike Mitt Romney who has stood by his principles. Plus, Rudy has a record of accomplishment.

However, I do love a good fantasy. It's one of my favorite genres and watching many of you ppl root on Ron Paul is entertaining.

[/ QUOTE ]

He does have a bit of a point, I'd have to put Romney slightly ahead of Ghouliani on the phony-politician rating.

However, do you realize that you rooting for Rudy has about the same effect on his chance to win as me rooting for the Patriots this weekend? When it comes to rooting for a politician, I'd rather root for a good and honest man than just for the one who appears to have the best shot of winning.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He does have a bit of a point, I'd have to put Romney slightly ahead of Ghouliani on the phony-politician rating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not being so stupid as to do it when he knows it won't work isn't the same as not being phony.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

However, do you realize that you rooting for Rudy has about the same effect on his chance to win as me rooting for the Patriots this weekend? When it comes to rooting for a politician, I'd rather root for a good and honest man than just for the one who appears to have the best shot of winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron Paul may be a Saint for all I know but he'd not be elected dictator. He'd still have to work with that pit of vipers in Washington virtually all of whom don't give a rat's ass about anything but themselves. What do you expect he'd be able to do? Pluck his magic twanger and you'd have the society you think the people want? Guess what: The people don't want what you think they want. At least a person like Giuliani knows reality from fantasy, has experience and is not afraid to say what he thinks.

btw: I used 'support' in referring to Giuliani and 'root' when it came to Paul. Upon reflection I consider that denigrating so I apologize for it.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron Paul may be a Saint for all I know but he'd not be elected dictator. He'd still have to work with that pit of vipers in Washington virtually all of whom don't give a rat's ass about anything but themselves. What do you expect he'd be able to do? Pluck his magic twanger and you'd have the society you think the people want? Guess what: The people don't want what you think they want. At least a person like Giuliani knows reality from fantasy, has experience and is not afraid to say what he thinks.

btw: I used 'support' in referring to Giuliani and 'root' when it came to Paul. Upon reflection I consider that denigrating so I apologize for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul would do the most important thing a president could do. Veto, veto, veto, pardon, veto, veto, veto.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul would do the most important thing a president could do. Veto, veto, veto, pardon, veto, veto, veto.

[/ QUOTE ]

The crap's about to hit the fan and I don't think 'veto' is going to be the way to go. We are going to need ideas and action pretty darn soon and not a mule sitting on his butt.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:20 PM

Howard, he will not be elected dictator of America, but he would be Commander in Chief of the armed forces. That means he can pull out as many troops as he pleases and request as little money as he likes for his military operations. When Ron Paul discusses whether he would endorse another Republican, the sticking point isn't abolishing the IRS, getting everyone weed and hookers, or moving towards the gold standard, it's changing to a non-interventionist foreign policy.

As Reagan said, "From Stettin on the Baltic to Varna on the Black Sea, the regimes planted by totalitarianism have had more than thirty years to establish their legitimacy. But none -- not one regime -- has yet been able to risk free elections. Regimes planted by bayonets do not take root... If history teaches anything, it teaches self-delusion in the face of unpleasant facts is folly... Our military strength is a prerequisite to peace, but let it be clear we maintain this strength in the hope it will never be used, for the ultimate determinant in the struggle that's now going on in the world will not be bombs and rockets but a test of wills and ideas, a trial of spiritual resolve, the values we hold, the beliefs we cherish, the ideals to which we are dedicated."

Also, "The defense policy of the United States is based on a simple premise: The United States does not start fights. We will never be an aggressor. We maintain our strength in order to deter and defend against aggression -- to preserve freedom and peace."
Old 11-03-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Howard, he will not be elected dictator of America, but he would be Commander in Chief of the armed forces. That means he can pull out as many troops as he pleases and request as little money as he likes for his military operations. When Ron Paul discusses whether he would endorse another Republican, the sticking point isn't abolishing the IRS or moving towards the gold standard, it's changing to a non-interventionist foreign policy.

As Reagan said, "From Stettin on the Baltic to Varna on the Black Sea, the regimes planted by totalitarianism have had more than thirty years to establish their legitimacy. But none -- not one regime -- has yet been able to risk free elections. Regimes planted by bayonets do not take root... If history teaches anything, it teaches self-delusion in the face of unpleasant facts is folly... Our military strength is a prerequisite to peace, but let it be clear we maintain this strength in the hope it will never be used, for the ultimate determinant in the struggle that's now going on in the world will not be bombs and rockets but a test of wills and ideas, a trial of spiritual resolve, the values we hold, the beliefs we cherish, the ideals to which we are dedicated."

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that 'As Reagan read from a script written by someone else' might be more accurate. I also am not quite sure that when somebody says 'non-interventionist' (which I don't mind all that much as it will at least make the Europeans pick up some of the slack) they don't really mean 'isolationist' which is something I could never support.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:44 PM

By non-interventionist we mean we don't preemptively invade Iraq under incredibly flaky premises, and we wouldn't be talking about preemptively bombing Iran for reasons nearly as good. What role do you want the U.S. military to play? I'd like them to defend this country. By your Europeans picking up the slack statement, I can only assume you'd like France and Germany to open up some military bases in the United States while all our troops are abroad? For stabilization reasons?
Old 11-03-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The crap's about to hit the fan and I don't think 'veto' is going to be the way to go. We are going to need ideas and action pretty darn soon and not a mule sitting on his butt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Action:

-bring home our troops

-stop foreign interventions

-stop spending on borrowed money (which builds insane interest payments as well)

-return the federal government to its Constitionally limited role

-return tax collection (and spending) to a more sane total amount (Ron Paul pointed out that without the income tax/IRS, government spending would have to be cut by 40% which would be to year 2000 levels. Does anyone seriously think we could not possibly get along next year with the budget at year 2000 levels???

That sounds like plenty of action to me and that's what Ron Paul would do his best to accomplish.

Ron Paul points out that nearly all problems the USA is having are due to a falling away from the Founders' vision of this country. I think he is correct. America has become an Empire requiring unbacked currency, abominably high total taxation (over 50% for most people when counting all taxes. The colonists were upset at taxes of just a few percent. In modern America we have all become serfs or indentured servants to government. >50% of your life's productivity is demanded, and taken, by government). I believe the Dems and Republicans are roughly equally to blame for the above.

If the Iraq War extends through 2008, the total cost will exceed $1 TRILLION. The national debt is $ ~9 TRILLION? Huh?

And who thinks it will end at the end of 2008? Will anyone except Ron Paul really get us out of there? You listen to the other candidates and they hem and haw, bob and weave as usual. Ron Paul tells it straight up and tells what he will do straight up. I don't believe any candidate except Ron Paul will bring our troops home.

Ron Paul for a return to sanity in government, and properly limited federal government.

Thanks for reading.