Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 02:49 PM

Default Should A-10 be raised before the flop to build value?

Suited or unsuited?
Old 10-30-2007, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Should A-10 be raised before the flop to build value?

If you're opening the pot in late position, I'd tend to raise. If you're in early position, I'd tend to call.

Of course, this is said in a vacuum- and my decisions would be completely dependent on how the opponents have played up until that hand.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:05 PM

A10o
- UTG: limp
- EP: limp
- MP: limp
- CO: raise
- BTN: raise
- SB: call
- BB: check

A10s
- raise in any position (A10s is considered to be the top 10% of hands you can get as hole cards in NLHE)
Old 10-30-2007, 03:15 PM

You should specify what game you're playing. In LHE, when suited, I raise with this hand from every position. Some people limp with it in EP.

If it's offsuit, whether I play it at all out of early position depends on the table conditions. Often I'll let it go in EP, limp in MP and I'll raise with it in an unraised pot or with one limper in late middle position or later to try to isolate them if I think I'll have position after the flop. I virtually never coldcall a raise with this hand.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:25 PM

In a full ring game I'll fold A10o in the early positions. Maybe I'm a nit [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2007, 03:29 PM

AT suited or off-suit is fine in 6-max. Be careful about playing it in Full Ring though, especially in early position. I dont think you'd be giving up too much by folding it (especially non-suited) in early/middle positions.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:51 PM

In NL, ATo is a clear fold in early position. I fold AJo in early position, too. Note that 6-max has no early position.

In limit, ATo is generally a fold in early position, but it may be playable in a loose enough game. Do whatever encourages people to make a lot of mistakes against ATo, whether that is limping or raising.

ATs is worth playing in early position in limit, but it is marginal in NL. It might be right to fold. If there isn't much raising, you can limp in early position. In theory, if early position raises are getting too much respect (which I am not sure I have ever seen), you can raise with it.

When it is folded to you in late postion, in both limit and NL, it is worth raising with ATo and ATs.

AT is a trouble hand. You often have an information disadvantage. It is hard to have the best hand while someone makes a good second best hand, and you make a lot of decent-looking second best hands. Poker isn't blackjack. Don't expect a lot from AT.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:56 PM

raise suited or not in 6 handed games. I don't play full ring. but full ring its a trash hand oop