Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 01:03 AM

Default Quick line check

Standard? No real read on SB yet since he just sat down. Is the pot big enough for a crying call?

Poker Stars, $10/$20 Limit Hold'em Cash Game, 8 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

Pre-Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, <font color="red">MP2 raises</font>, 2 folds, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls

Flop: (8 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 Players)
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="red">MP2 bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, 2 folds, SB calls

Turn: (6.5 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets</font>, SB calls

River: (8.5 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets</font>, Hero folds
Old 10-23-2007, 02:20 AM

Default Re: Quick line check

yeah you don't beat anything I can think of. I think you can prob fold this pretty safely. However I could be totally wrong, because I don't know how the "average" 10/20 player plays online, and that's the key.

specifically, KT, T9, AT just made backdoor trips. They were drawing for straight on flop and killed you by accident. Also, any clubdraw just killed you too. So if he had a draw, it got there. If he had a Q all the way and decided to play it like this for some reason, then maybe you get half the pot if you are lucky.
Personally, I don't care too much about getting half the pot, especially when trying to get it usually means I lose a bet like almost always.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:35 PM

bump. doesn't anyone else have some imput into this hand?
Old 10-23-2007, 07:00 PM

I think folding is fine, but calling isn't horrible. I guess a J could have bluffed the river. Maybe its a KJ or J9 like 5% of the time. Maybe 99 or 88 played wierd, peeling the flop light 1% of the time. Still not enough to call, cuz all the stuff Snowball said.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:16 PM

Is this flop check-raise standard? It seems a little thin to me once SB calls - if we are ahead, then there are probably lots of draws out against us, and if we are behind we're stuck calling a 3-bet with a bunch of dubious draws. Also there aren't many hands that we want to fold that will actually fold here.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:44 PM

fold seems good. since he called flop, seems like draw is most likely. If it's a str8 or flush draw, u still lose.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this flop check-raise standard?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have no idea. I was mostly hoping to fold UTG and figured I had enough equity to not be too unhappy if I got 3bet. I agree it's thin, and at the time I was thinking "I need to check-raise because I'm playing limit and you always [censored] check-raise in limit with top-pair on drawy boards." Not the most sophisticated reasoning, I know.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:49 PM

i play it the same and call the river i think you win 1/10 times. but i also feel like i payoff too much sometimes...
hmm i am tired and didnt really see the flush/flop/turn action that closely. makes it a lot closer, i might even fold here. but calling cant be "terrible".
Old 10-23-2007, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i play it the same and call the river i think you win 1/10 times. but i also feel like i payoff too much sometimes...
hmm i am tired and didnt really see the flush/flop/turn action that closely. makes it a lot closer, i might even fold here. but calling cant be "terrible".

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of guys will bet out on a river scare card when they plan on calling your river bet anyway, with the hope of chasing you off. He may have a Jack, worse Queen (now a chop) or be way ahead. Don't know that you have a good enough read. I think it is worth the BB, if only to gain information. But when you are throwing (clicking) your chips in know that's what you are buying. Metagame.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:12 AM

Flop c/r is standard. I may or may not call the river. I don't think its too bad either way.