Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software

Old 09-05-2007, 04:27 PM

Default My Vista Ultimate counterfeit?

Bought a 64-bit Vista Ultimate DVD on ebay, came with a product key. I asked the seller several questions about it, and long story short he insisted that he was selling a legit 64-bit Vista Ultimate (from the retail kit) with a legit product code. The retail version of Ultimate comes with 1 disc each for the 32-bit and 64-bit versions, but only one license.

It arrived, and certainly the disc is not counterfiet, but I'm worried that the product key may be. I've gone the micrsoft's site to see what the key looks like, and they do look the same.

However, I was hoping someone could tell me a little more about the little yellow prodcut key. Can you feel the security strip running through the middle (I can't)? Is it glossy at all - mine is flat with out any finish.

You can save the "why buy on ebay lol sucker", I knew there's some risk. In this case, the guy who sold it lives 20 minutes from where I'll be staying next weekend though. I just want to make sure this isn't a valid serial before I return it to the guy.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:10 PM

Default Re: My Vista Ultimate counterfeit?

bump

No one has the retail version of Vista Ultimate that can help me out here?

Also, for the majority of you that don't have this OS, the "Windows Hold'em" that comes with the Ultimate version sucks like you wouldn't believe. I don't just mean that it plays horribly on the hardest setting (you would expect), but it looks terrible and cheap. This is one of the "Ultimate Extras" they sell as special features.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:28 PM

Why do you care if it is counterfeit? You acted in good faith, so you shouldn't feel as though you stole something. MS couldn't give a damn about your 100 bucks. I say just move on.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you care if it is counterfeit? You acted in good faith, so you shouldn't feel as though you stole something. MS couldn't give a damn about your 100 bucks. I say just move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's that, and the possibility I could run into problems later on if it's registered to another person. I'd rather get my $ back and look elsewhere, or buy the OEM version (which isn't much more than what I spent).

In any case, if it's not genuine or is in use by another person, I don't want it. If I wanted pirated crap I'd go torrent it myself for free. In this case, I was clear with the seller and he assured me that the everything was on the up and up.

Still, I'm hoping someone can just check out their key sticker so I know for sure. Thanks
Old 09-05-2007, 11:34 PM

I have Windows Vista Ultimate Retail...bought it directly from Amazon (not a reseller on Amazon).

Yellow product key is flat, no strips. Matte finish but the bar code and product key are a semi glossy black.

From what you describe sounds legit.

Best regards,

APerfect10
Old 09-06-2007, 03:37 AM

Call Microsoft, tell them what happened. They will support you in exchange for info on the seller.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:46 AM

Actually, there's a piece of tape placed across the middle, so I can't tell. Thanks for the help.

As far as calling MS, maybe if it comes to that. Looking closer at his ebay feedback, he's purchasing (whole) retail Vista kits himself via auctions, even as he's selling individual discs. I'll drop the guy a note and see what he says when I ask for the COA.