Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 09-05-2007, 06:24 PM

Default Raise sizing and SPR formula

I apologize if this has been covered somewhere else or if this should be moved elsewhere, but a practical live alternative to the tables starting on pg 215 is needed especially for live games.

Ignoring the .5 BB for the SB completing in the one caller scenario, the following formula isnt too difficult to use live:

R=Raise size, T=Target SPR, S = effective stack size, C=anticipated number of callers

R= (S-2T)/(1+CT)

For large effective stacks and small target SPRs (as impractical as those raise sizes might be), S/CT is a good and obvious estimate.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Raise sizing and SPR formula

[ QUOTE ]
I apologize if this has been covered somewhere else or if this should be moved elsewhere, but a practical live alternative to the tables starting on pg 215 is needed especially for live games.

[/ QUOTE ]

can you memorize a line or two from the relevant tables?
Old 09-12-2007, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Raise sizing and SPR formula

Hi, I just bought the book and am trying to figure out how to apply some of the comments. (Very good book by the way. I am enjoying the read and am thinking about things from a totally different perspective.

The following is a link to a thread that I posted on in the SSNL forum. I am trying to apply the concepts of pot control to a hand that someone else has posted. Would you mind reading the thread and my response on page two and letting me know if my thinking on the hand is correct?

The basic concepts are Pot Control vs protecting your hand.
Post on SSNL

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2007, 07:11 AM

Default Re: PNL Study Group Day 5: Pot Control

[ QUOTE ]
Here are two examples where I tried putting pot control into practice, but I'm not sure if my timing was appropriate. Should I have been trying to protect my hand? This is definitely a tricky balancing act.

1) http://www.pokerhand.org/?1406569 Villain is loose preflop and postflop.

2) http://www.pokerhand.org/?1406596 Villain is loose in this hand, too. The HH didn't convert well, but I checked the turn and the final board is actually 35T,Q,4 (not 545,Q,4)

I'm not trying to turn this into a hand critique thread, but the pot control section of the book was fresh in my mind when I played both these hands. I'm naturally a very aggressive player, and would often bet these turns in the past. However, I just recently crossed over from MTTs, and I'm working hard to keep the value of TP/Overpairs in perspective when playing 100 BB deep.

Love to hear anyone's thoughts on when to protect your hand, and when to control the pot size.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, as already stated, cont betting a whiffed flop is not exercising pot control, because you intend to take it down immediately by betting. I usually exercise pot control when I have second pair, TPNK or a good hand on a board that is connected in more than one way.

In both your hands, the turn card actually helps your hand and especially in hand 2, I really dislike your check when the Q hit and you got exectly what you wanted. Even though the turn card in hand 1 completes a flush, it only helped a small part of your opponents range, so I'd continue betting.

Proper pot control is not easy. I feel like I have a long way to go before I master this part of the game.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:18 AM

Default bet sizing question

Question for the authors, or other high-stakes players:

I have noticed that the pros in High Stakes Poker typically open flop betting around 1/2 the pot, as opposed to 2/3 the pot. What are the differences in their game that make this the right (default) bet amount?