Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 03:03 AM

Default Comm 40: I donk twice and get raised twice

Good game tonight, I'm running well and have a solid image.

Random weird Middle Eastern regular raises in EP and is cold-called by button. Button is the early 30-something brown-haired white chick who's 8 months pregnant and is a bit of a table coach; she's stuck a lot tonight but isn't spewing. I'm in the BB and elect to call with AKo. (Eh?)

Flop: KJ4r

I bet, PFR folds, button raises. I call.

Turn: 2

I bet. Button says, in a sincere and quiet tone, "you have two pair?" and raises.

My play?
Old 08-22-2007, 03:19 AM

Default Re: Comm 40: I donk twice and get raised twice

you just played your hand in a way that screams draw to most people. she's could easily be thinking "maybe he got lucky and wants to protect a venerable two pair hand or maybe he's betting QT. Let's raise with KQ, QQ, or AJ and make him pay. Won't cost me anymore because I'm going to showdown."

But I suppose this isn't enough info to make the decision because she could easily have JJ, KJ, 44.

how wide is her CC'ing range? do you think she would 3-bet with AK, QQ? Do you think she would cold call with KT, K9, JQ?

If she has a tight CC'ing range then you can probably fold dispite the lack of confidence you can put on her raise because there aren't a lot of hands that you are ahead of other than KQ.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
do you think she would 3-bet with AK? Do you think she would cold call with KT, K9, JQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and yes. Maybe not an unsuited KT or K9, but suited probably. I'd also give her AJ, but she probably views me as too solid for her to be popping me again with it.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:55 AM

I would've 3 bet PF. As played I'd check/raise the flop. As played if I'm not 3 betting the flop it's to check/raise the turn. As played calldown.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would've 3 bet PF. As played I'd check/raise the flop. As played if I'm not 3 betting the flop it's to check/raise the turn. As played calldown.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with everything but the part I placed in italics.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:52 AM

Won't comment on preflop.

Shawn: What did you want to happen on the flop after you donked? I'm confused because if you want a raise from EP so you can 3-bet, you're unlikely to get it on this board by a hand you want to do it(only hands are KQ/QQ/KTs?) and are in a tough spot if he pops the turn instead.

I check raise this flop because there are few draws to push out and both players are forced to call down with a K(only KQ should be in there range, though) or a J who is forced to peel. If I donk, I'm following through and 3 betting regardless even though EP folded and you got a raise from Button instead.

As played, you donked again on a turn that obviously did not help you. I hate it because villain is probably aware of this, your hand really looks like Krag/QJ/AJ right now, and because of these 2 factors villain could be raising light or for a free showdown. I don't know anything about the villain but at this point, I would put her on a range of AK/KQ/KJ/KTs?/JJ?/QQ?. Because of this, I feel like we have to call down here.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:57 AM

good post, professor ben.

shawn, i think your line here is so bizarre that you're forced to call down. in taking such an unorthodox line, you disguise your hand, but it also makes it difficult to play postflop since your opponents will be putting you on a larger range and you can't interpret their actions with the same precision. i don't mind playing a tptk hand like this occasionally (for metagame) but, on the flop, i'm pretty sure the default here is to c-r. or, 3 bet the flop when you donk.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:15 AM

The MPC, having thoroughly discussed this hand, has deemed it in such a state of disarray that it is impossible to decide where to even begin dissecting this abomination.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:31 AM

i don't like the way it was played pf or on the flop. It's a fairly atypical line. I like a turn call and another donk on the river.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The MPC, having thoroughly discussed this hand, has deemed it in such a state of disarray that it is impossible to decide where to even begin dissecting this abomination.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stick around, I'll post some more that are much worse!