Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 03:48 PM

Default Re: 1010 first hand stars 6.50

[ QUOTE ]
The $6.50s can be donkfest, so I'd raise 3xBB to limit the number of limpers. Often in these the 1st couple hand the donkeys have wings.
I hate the min raise so if either of the two villains have a nick in all uppercase I'd shove and stack'em (OK... well maybe not...but I would strongly consider the 3xBB raise)

[/ QUOTE ]

why do you want to limit the number of limpers?
Old 08-14-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP played this fine imo. There's no need to build pots oop with a marginal hand. Some ppl raise TT, I just limp looking to flop a set or play some postflop poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point of the initial 3xBB pf raise is to chase off some of the flush and straight chasers that would otherwise limp in and possibly call and bust your set. It's not really to build a pot. It's to buy information about their hands - granted at this level a lot of people are going to be playing a lot of hands - I still think the correct move is to a least attempt to limit the competition. If your plan is to flop a set or fold then the more callers on your 3xBB bet the better. I don't think pocket tens is that marginal of a hand. I think the problem with post-flop poker is that you have to play post-flop poker. Do you think by calling all of Villians weak raises Hero was playing post-flop poker? I'm of the opinion that he wasn't playing much poker at all.

[ QUOTE ]
By just calling you give villain a chance to bluff with an underpair or 2 big cards. Sometimes if villain has a draw to go with his 2 big cards if you bet and he raises, you fold a hand that isn't that far behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are giving him a chance to bluff his overcards/low pocket pairs the proper line would be a reraise (ala check/raise), not call. You're also giving him a chance to draw to his overcards and while Hero is also drawing to his set, with five visible cards and two of them being Tens and the other sixteen being mucked or held by Villian can we honestly give Hero two outs to draw to his set?

[ QUOTE ]
I see this line alot with AK, AQ. Weak Tight is a pretty good way to play the first 3 levels of a sng by weak tight I mean 11/3 pf and betting aggressively when you called/limped and hit a monster or betting with tptk or an overpair when you raised pf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then he should have folded when he missed his set, not called Villian down on all streets. I can't say for certain if Villian would have only minraised pre-flop if he was holding AK, or AQ. My thoughts would be no, but I would say the same thing for QQ, which brings me full circle to my original point. I don't think Hero played this well at all, but Villian played it so, so terribly it made Hero's line look ok.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why do you want to limit the number of limpers?

[/ QUOTE ]

By having more opponents in the hand it naturally lowers your odds of winning the hand. Low limit players love suited cards and connectors. Just the kinds of hands that bust sets. If we are looking to maximize the value of a flopped set, I think we also have to temper that with the possibilty of letting in too many limpers and making our hand vulnerable to those kinds of hands that people love to limp. The same applies for any kind of strong pre-flop hand you hold. Inviting in limpers is inviting disaster. At the least, charge them to play those hands.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:48 PM

I mean it all turned out okay, but I'm not that big of a fan when it comes to check calling it all the way down like you did. It turns out fine because his bets are so small, but what are you doing when he puts a bet of 275 or 300 out there on the river? I'm not interested in calling that bet obviously with a flush out there, trip J's, overpairs, and 22, 44, and 99 are all beating us (well, 22 and 44 shouldn't be part of Villain's range really but 99 is reasonable). Realistically, it's spew IMO if you're calling the flop and turn bets but fold to the river, and who wants to call off 20% of our stack on the river when we have no idea where we stand? It's obviously very unlikely that our hand will improve as well.

It seems to me like you didn't really have a plan after the flop. Either take the aggressive line or the setmining line, but it seems like you're vascillating here wanting to do both.