Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 12:29 AM

Default Your level of golf?

Probably been 100 of these in here, but I just started coming in here to get away from the strat forums, and what does 1 more hurt.

What level have you reached? Play HS golf, maybe college? ANyone here tried the mini-tour route, or even bigger tours?

What's the lowest anyone has taken it on a decent course, (ie non-9 hole goat track) tipped out?

I'll start it out, played HS golf, ju-co'd it freshman year, hated it, came home, walked on junior year at a pretty good D-1 school but haven't done [censored] since I've been here.= I'm a head case + a year off from competitive golf at a high level, hmmmmm....good combo or not??

One more year of eligibility but dunno if I'm gonna play, losing a passion for golf fairly rapidly, tryin to get competitive this summer, hasn't been very good so far. Tues. will be a big day, US am. qual...
Old 07-27-2007, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Your level of golf?

I'm terrible. I don't presently have a number. I'm guessing 15 is reasonable. I was a mediocre Junior. I won a few events; big fish, small pond. I could have played HS, but played baseball. I also could have played D-1, but only because my school was freaking terrible-- I mean BRUTAL. 20+ years have passed and I've practically quit.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:39 AM

Played 5 yrs of varsity golf in middle/HS. Got to play in the state tourney jr year (friend [censored] totaled his car that I was riding in the morning of sections SR yr. Concussion + left eye swollen shut + messed up shoulder = +6 after 2 holes, +2 last 16 after I could see straight to miss going by a few) We did not lose a conference match for 2-3 yrs so that was a ton of fun.

Played golf my freshman yr at a crappy college, was an absolute blast, got to play a ton of decent/nice courses. Team was so bad that I was the 1 man, so I got to play with all the rly rly good players from other school, little intimidating. We had 15 tourneys in 5 weeks and my grades were terrible so my parents were done paying for school if I was on the golf team. Have not played any competitive golf aside from the club championship since then (in which i managed to piss away a 4 shot lead going into final day).
Old 07-27-2007, 07:06 AM

Junior Career: Made low 32 match play in 2 US Juniors, made match play in 3 Western Juniors. Also qualified for Western Amateur at 16 and 18 (and twice more in college).

College Career: D1 golf at good mid-major school. Hated college golf.

After College: Qualified for 2 US Publinx. Made match play once and lost 1st round, missed match play by 2 shots the other time. Represented Arizona in USGA State Team championships. Represented Arizona in international play in Peru.

Most birdies in round: 10
Best stretch of holes: 6 under in 5 holes
Lowest 9: 30 (4 or 5 times)
Lowest non-competitve round: 63
Lowest competitive round: 65
Holes in one: 0
Played with: David Duval, Phil Mickelson, Stewart Cink, Justin Leonard, Adam Scott, and a bunch of other lesser known PGA and Nationwide guys.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:07 AM

Junior Career: HS Golf team for 3 years. 1 man my last 2 years.

College Career: NC State doesnt allow walk-ons.

Most birdies in round: 8
Best stretch of holes: 5 under in 5 holes
Lowest 9: 30
Lowest non-competitve round: 66
Lowest competitive round: 72

Play to a 4 now, greeeat.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:16 AM

Got through stage 1 of PGA Tour Q-school 2 years ago....
Played terribly at stage 2
Old 07-27-2007, 10:39 AM

Just finished stories from q school. Seems you arent the only one that struggles at stage 2.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:42 AM

Picked up golf in HS over the summers while playing American Legion baseball b/c i was a pitcher (had the chance to play D-2 but decided that the education route was best) and did not have to worry about golf messing up my swing. Shoot in the high 80's. Been playing for about 4 years now.

Best round = 82
Best stretch = -2 through 2 holes, shot 93 (go figure)
3 eagles...so nothing to boast about

Overall normal golfer with no lessons...
Old 07-27-2007, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Junior Career: Made low 32 match play in 2 US Juniors, made match play in 3 Western Juniors. Also qualified for Western Amateur at 16 and 18 (and twice more in college).

College Career: D1 golf at good mid-major school. Hated college golf.

After College: Qualified for 2 US Publinx. Made match play once and lost 1st round, missed match play by 2 shots the other time. Represented Arizona in USGA State Team championships. Represented Arizona in international play in Peru.

Most birdies in round: 10
Best stretch of holes: 6 under in 5 holes
Lowest 9: 30 (4 or 5 times)
Lowest non-competitve round: 63
Lowest competitive round: 65
Played with: David Duval, Phil Mickelson, Stewart Cink, Justin Leonard, Adam Scott, and a bunch of other lesser known PGA and Nationwide guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

damn, impressive junior resume. publinx is also nice! caddied for a teammate this summer that shot 68-70 here in Houston and didn't even sniff it.

what didn't you like about college golf? i've felt that way a couple of times, but when i look back on the friends i've made and the places i've traveled, it's been a pretty cool experience. i guess i enjoyed everything but the golf [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2007, 11:51 AM

Pretty normal. Played high school golf, hovering between a 7 and a 9 handicap for most of it (lack of practice outside of playing probably held me back), playing a steady 4th man on varsity. Didn't play, as in literally did not pick up a club, for five years through college for various reasons. Decided I wanted to play again, but I also got fat, so basically had to start over from scratch in terms of swing. My putting, which used to be my savior, is now my downfall, and my irons, which used to be an issue, tend to give me a really high GIR %. I'm happy with my improvement this year; down to about a 12 handicap from about an 18.