Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2007, 03:37 AM

Default Rebuy question: What if you only have enough for a single rebuy/addon?

Which do you choose? Assume the add-on costs the same as a re-buy but gives you 50% more chips. Do you:

1) buy-in immediately twice, or
2) buy-in once and hope to save the second for the add-on (or a re-buy if needed)?

Before I get any snarky comments about why I only have enough for a single add-on/re-buy: The tourney I'm thinking about is a FPP-type satellite with a significant overlay (perhaps 50%+). I recently cashed out most of my points and don't have time to build up enough to get an extra buy-in or two.

Finally, does the fact that the tourney is a turbo (5 minute blinds) change your approach?
Old 06-17-2007, 05:01 AM

Default Re: Rebuy question: What if you only have enough for a single rebuy/ad

I think option 2. That way if you bust you can buy back in again if this is the last mtt you can enter. Otherwise you can save your fpps for the add on which gives you more chips. Also, sometimes in these things a lot of other people at your table won't rebuy either so you will cover them anyways.

I guess I'd be more likely to rebuy immediately in a turbo, althought in most online mtts I doubt it makes a big difference.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:05 AM

I should also point out that the tourney is a super-satellite where a seat = about 45 buy-ins. With the overlay there could be about 1 seat per 30 buy-ins.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:13 AM

Actually, I change my mind I think 1 is better. In the fpp sats there is some horrendous play and having those extra chips early can be put in a much better spot than the slightly more chips you get from an add on. Also, I assume these points have little value to you (like you wouldn't really care to save them if you bust late in the rebuy period).