Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 08:39 AM

Default Re: How to play FR against Stars nits?

I have some sympathy, I just started playing with a small br after a break. I had to spend my old br because of rl issues ( got married basically and we had to pay for it somehow ) and am stuck in NL25 until the br grows some.

Anyway I'm shocked at just how nitty the FR NL games often are at low level. You can of course slowly chip up just basically stealing small pots but the disadvantage of this is that all the progress and more can and often will disappear in one hand that goes south.

You can forget getting action on good hands because people are basically sitting around waiting to go all in with a monster and have no interest in playing marginal ( or often even quite good ) hands for any real stake. My experience is that if you have action but not a nut hand you are probably in trouble in these games.

All in all the games are probably still beatable but they sure as hell arent what anyone in their right mind would call good. Personally I tried em and quickly moved over to play 6 max instead.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:37 AM

If people fold too much, raise more.

If you don't get enough action with your AA, then play other hands like they are AA.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mixing up play makes sense on higher levels. And it really doesn't make sense in FR, because you get rare playable hands, and just nobody will notice. If I have one AA on the session, what's the sense of mixing up?

And they fold on raises not because they observed me, but because they are tight and do not want to call pf raises with crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why ask if you're just going to ignore the advice given?

If you don't think mixing up your play in a full-ring game makes sense, then you've got a few more problems to solve.

At the micro limits, you are more correct in that no one really pays a ton of attention. However, if someone raises and you reraise, even nits put you on a big pocket pair or AK. Call there every once in a while. And also, you might be surprised to occasionally find someone at the micro-limits that is watching what people raise with.

As for them being too tight and folding, I'll say it again, if this frustrates you, either limp and let them in, or raise and take the blinds.

My new piece of advice is this, stop whining. Since you're not going to listen to anything suggested here, then stop whining, play ABC and pick up the pots you can. Pray every time you get AA, someone else has KK.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If people fold too much, raise more.

If you don't get enough action with your AA, then play other hands like they are AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:06 PM

Instead, you can mix it up with other hands. If you have people calling your raise and folding to your c-bet on the flop, it really doesn't matter what you are actually holding. Try raising a suited connector and c-betting that. Even if they catch you doing that, its not necessarily bad. You may lose one pot, but they'll remember that next time you raise and then you may get someone to pay off your aces.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Try raising a suited connector and c-betting that.

[/ QUOTE ]For the record, I hate turning suited connectors into bluffing hands. I prefer to use a different part of my pf range for this purpose.

Edit: I assuming we're not opening the pot here- point being, when I have a suited connector I want action so I'm not trying to raise limpers out of the hand.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:06 PM

I like to use the suited connectors as a part of my open-raising range. I pick up a ton of small pots on the flop, they are easy to get away from when someone plays back when I've missed and I often win huge pots when someone plays back at me on a flop I've hit.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like to use the suited connectors as a part of my open-raising range.

[/ QUOTE ]I do as well. I thought you mean re-raising with suited connectors.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been building a bankroll on stars and have been playing micro NL. My biggest suggestion is to practice better game selection.

[/ QUOTE ]
I couldn't agree more. You can usually find a 40% pre-flop table or two at NL5 with bigger than average pot sizes.