Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2007, 03:19 AM

Default 25 NL: AKo in the blinds vs solid villain

I'd been at this table for about an hour, playing my normal TAG game pretty well. Hadn't been too out of line stealing blinds or anything.

Villain was stacked off on one of the first hands he sat down with when he had KJo on a T83r board and called a shorties push. That got a note on him, but outside of that he was a pretty solid player who knew what he was doing. I had a good idea he knew I was good TAG player, which is why I played this hand like I did.

EDIT: This converter is f'ed up, anyone have a good converter? I can't find ANY stable converter.

Me in the SB w/ $33.75 stack
Villain in BB with $47.65 stack

I have AKo in the SB and raise $1
He calls

Flop: 7hAc8h

I bet $1, he raises to $4. My read is he's on a flush, I re-raise to $12. He waits a bit and calls.

Turn: Th.

I push for $20.75 more, he calls.

I raised his flop raise because I was 90% sure that was a flush draw, and I really just wanted him to fold on the flop. When he called I still was pretty sure it was a drawing hand, though I started to suspect maybe there was a gutshot w/ the flush too. The turn is absolutely horrible and was more of me being pissed that his flush got there, but is still vaguely defensible I suppose.

My main question is whether I should've re-raised his flop raise with the read that I had.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:21 AM

Default Re: 25 NL: AKo in the blinds vs solid villain

[ QUOTE ]
I had a good idea he knew I was good TAG player..

[/ QUOTE ]

How modest!

And read over your post... the numbers are messed up.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I had a good idea he knew I was good TAG player..

[/ QUOTE ]

How modest!

And read over your post... the numbers are messed up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya I edited it
Old 03-05-2007, 03:25 AM

You can't be sure he's JUST on a FD. So instead of pushing all your chips in and seeing 77, 88, A8, etc., why not call the flop and c/r a safe turn?

As played, his call on your flop reraise should tell you that he's strong. If he's on a FD, he's on a BIG draw (like T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]x[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]), so pushing on the turn is just bad. You have to give this up.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:25 AM

Yeah I definitely know I was really frustrated on the turn, and that's all me, but is re-raising the flop good or not?
Old 03-05-2007, 03:28 AM

I'm assuming you have no hearts? If so, it's not a crime to check-fold this turn. It sucks, but you still have almost 100 BBs behind, and every conceivable draw just got there on the turn, and I highly doubt he called the flop to bluff a turn scare card. With the ace of hearts, I don't mind the push as much, with the Kh it's more marginal.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I definitely know I was really frustrated on the turn, and that's all me, but is re-raising the flop good or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's going to fire the FD again on the turn (i.e. on a non-heart) then I'd rather let him hang himself on it and put it in there. Otherwise, reraising the flop is ok. Thing is, it practically makes your hand a bluff, because very little is calling that reraise that is behind.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming you have no hearts? If so, it's not a crime to check-fold this turn. It sucks, but you still have almost 100 BBs behind, and every conceivable draw just got there on the turn, and I highly doubt he called the flop to bluff a turn scare card. With the ace of hearts, I don't mind the push as much , with the Kh it's more marginal.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] it's a definite c/r AI, not open push.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:31 AM

I had no hearts

The turn is embarassing for me and one of my biggest leaks -- tilt monkey. Smooth calling the flop and C/R a safe turn is another option, but considering I'm OOP he can always check behind me so I'm forced to fire again.

he had 21/10/1 stats over 28 hands if it matters
Old 03-05-2007, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Smooth calling the flop and C/R a safe turn is another option, but considering I'm OOP he can always check behind me so I'm forced to fire again.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a risk you often have to take. Protect your stack.