Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 04:03 AM

Default Re: Accounting Firms

yeah...I got pretty far in interviews with Grant Thorton and knew some people who worked for them
--professional and uptight is right on
-they're kind of like a mid-level of the ol' Anderson of the Big5
Old 03-01-2007, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah...I got pretty far in interviews with Grant Thorton and knew some people who worked for them
--professional and uptight is right on
-they're kind of like a mid-level of the ol' Anderson of the Big5

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree with that assessment of GT. If BDO is where you feel most comfortable then that's where you should go. As long as you interview with 1 or 2 of the Big 4 then I think you can make an informed decision.

What industries are big in Houston besides Energy and Banking? Real Estate?

Are you looking for audit or tax?
Old 03-02-2007, 02:05 PM

all the interviews i've qualified for are either oil industry or public accounting. and im tax.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:28 AM

I went through the interviews for the big 4 and also GT and BDO Stoy Hayward (as known in the UK) for a graduate audit programmme in the london offices.

My brother has also finished his ACA training contract at a lesser known accountancy firm and he has been fortunate and got a job straight in a FTSE 100 company as a financial group accountant.

That's the background fwiw.

My personal opinion is go for Big 4. In this ever increasing age of competition where there are vast numbers of applicants for jobs etc it is best to give yourself the best possible 'leg up'.

I initially wanted to go to BDO. I was very impressed with my first interview in terms of they seemed very people orientated and the person interviewing me, an audit manager, seemed a very likeable guy.

However, I also liked those at PwC and the relative prestige of working for a Big 4 company as well as the added value it gives to your future job applications meant I chose PwC over BDO (I didn't even go to their final assessment day becuase I had decided to go for PwC).

Anyways, the main decision you must make is whether audit is for you. The qualification is very good and will hold you in very good stead for a long time. If you want to be a millionaire early, try applying to banking, I did, and they told me to sod off, but maybe it will mean I can live a much less stressed life and and enjoy my 20s, as I have done so far.