Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 02-18-2007, 04:31 PM

Default Players announce they are going to check it down?

Yesterday in a MTT I had 575 chips. The blinds were 250/500. I got jacks in MP and went all in. CO and button called as did SB and BB. They decided amongst each other out loud that they were going to check it down. This happened about 2 hands earlier as well in a hand that I wasn't involved in and I told them that this shouldn't be done. This is my normal home game and the 4 players that were checking it down I have never seen at this particular game before. I'm pretty sure that this shouldn't be done but is it illegal. If this happens again is there any way to enforce this rule like making them muck their hands?
Old 02-18-2007, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Players announce they are going to check it down?

[ QUOTE ]
Yesterday in a MTT I had 575 chips. The blinds were 250/500. I got jacks in MP and went all in. CO and button called as did SB and BB. They decided amongst each other out loud that they were going to check it down. This happened about 2 hands earlier as well in a hand that I wasn't involved in and I told them that this shouldn't be done. This is my normal home game and the 4 players that were checking it down I have never seen at this particular game before. I'm pretty sure that this shouldn't be done but is it illegal. If this happens again is there any way to enforce this rule like making them muck their hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it in the house rules to be illegal? Yes, they shouldn't be planning this through discussion... but if they do it implicitly, that's an expected tactic.

No, you can't kill their hands. Only real penalty is to make them sit out for X minutes after the hand is over. Add that to the game rules
Old 02-18-2007, 05:05 PM

There are no house rules or anything like that. Mostly just a friendly game. We play by the basic rules. Thought maybe there was some kind of rule about this.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are no house rules or anything like that. Mostly just a friendly game. We play by the basic rules.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then why does it matter if it's a friendly game? I always hate the douche who tries to turn a home game into the WSOP.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:22 PM

It is common practice in tournaments when multiple players are still live vs. one all in player to check down to the river. I also see it in limit games @ the local card room I frequent. I don't quite understand why you would be upset in this situation; you have no further options available to in this particular hand anyway. If you do feel strongly about this action, you should mention to the host of the game that you feel deliberate check downs should not be allowed & the "house rules" be amended to enforce the policy.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't quite understand why you would be upset in this situation;

[/ QUOTE ]
Its because they openly talked about checking it down. Pretty much illegal anywhere you play.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:36 PM

Of course it's illegal - it's collusion. The difference between this and several players doing it implicitely because it's mutually beneficial to all involved to have you eliminated is the fact that they announced it.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is common practice in tournaments when multiple players are still live vs. one all in player to check down to the river. I also see it in limit games @ the local card room I frequent. I don't quite understand why you would be upset in this situation; you have no further options available to in this particular hand anyway. If you do feel strongly about this action, you should mention to the host of the game that you feel deliberate check downs should not be allowed & the "house rules" be amended to enforce the policy.

[/ QUOTE ]

you get upset becuase if one of the others decides to bluff at the pot and gets the rest to fold you mat end up in aheads up situation with the best hand. By all agreeing to check you have to beat all players who are all getting a free chance to outdraw you.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are no house rules or anything like that. Mostly just a friendly game. We play by the basic rules.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then why does it matter if it's a friendly game? I always hate the douche who tries to turn a home game into the WSOP.

[/ QUOTE ]
You must be the idiot that doesn't understand basic rules like these people.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't mind it being checked down at all. But when they say their intentions out loud and the four of them agree I think they crossed a line.