Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2007, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Waitress gives herself tip on my Credit card

[ QUOTE ]
THis is EXTREMELY common, and the fact that your restuarant (Domino's or Papa Johns?) doesn't do it does not make it incorrect.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the rule Visa has explicitly saying not to do it is what makes it incorrect.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I realize every restaurant is different, but is there any reason they would be pre-authorizing for more than the amount due? Our system won't let us charge more than the amount - anything more has to be added as a tip. It's nice, because then we don't have the problem that Burger King did where the person was charged 4k for a burger.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no reason they should be pre-authorizing for more than the actual charge amount. In fact it is a violation of the Visa Rules to do so. Just look at page 10 of that pdf for the concise version of the rule.

It's also a violation to impose a minimum purchase amount for credit card sales, and to ask to see ID as a requirement for using your credit card.

[/ QUOTE ]

THose are the rules for merchants, the processors are under different rules (and have contracted for a set amount of time to follow those rules, higher preautorizations is common and accepted practice).

Good find though, and having the ability to read that whole document w/o falling asleep is an excellent talent.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:27 PM

to the people claiming this is extremely common:

you're getting robbed
Old 01-24-2007, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

you're getting robbed

[/ QUOTE ]

The preautorization is extremely common, if the final total on your statement is different, then you are getting robbed. Big difference.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:30 PM

oh gotcha, i reread the posts and initially thought you meant servers are just helping themselves to more tip moneys
Old 01-24-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

you're getting robbed

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it's the other way around. Restaurants and bars do this so that they don't get robbed. I don't know the exact reason restaurants do it, but I worked at a bar for 3 years and we did this regularly in $20 increments. We would start a tab with a person's credit card. If we didn't preauth. the cards, they could start a tab, drink all night long, walk out on their tab, and the bar would be responsible for covering the money.

After the preauthorization clears your card is charged the normal amount.

Cappy
Old 01-24-2007, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I realize every restaurant is different, but is there any reason they would be pre-authorizing for more than the amount due? Our system won't let us charge more than the amount - anything more has to be added as a tip. It's nice, because then we don't have the problem that Burger King did where the person was charged 4k for a burger.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no reason they should be pre-authorizing for more than the actual charge amount. In fact it is a violation of the Visa Rules to do so. Just look at page 10 of that pdf for the concise version of the rule.

It's also a violation to impose a minimum purchase amount for credit card sales, and to ask to see ID as a requirement for using your credit card.

[/ QUOTE ]

THose are the rules for merchants, the processors are under different rules (and have contracted for a set amount of time to follow those rules, higher preautorizations is common and accepted practice).

Good find though, and having the ability to read that whole document w/o falling asleep is an excellent talent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that the situation in the OP is exactly the same as the example they give for this particular rule (where they say *not* to do it), I find it hard to believe that Visa would allow another step in the chain to arbitrarily add another 15% on. Later on, on page 27, they go into a bit more detail. They are pretty explicit that the authorization should be for the exact amount, and no more. They even protect the restaurant from extra hassle by allowing for an additional 20% increase in the final charge for restaurant authorizations.

To the OP, there really is no reason why an authorized amount (usually showing up as "pending charges" on card web sites) should not be exactly what your bill was. If the restaurant is authorizing over what they should be, you should point this out to them so they can correct it. If it shows up as an actual charge, then someone (the waitress? the owner?) is stealing from you, and obviously this should be pointed out to them as well.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:39 PM

Ive never had any reciept at a restaurant be pre authorized for more than the bill was. Its always the other way around. Initially the charge shows up for the amount before the tip and then when its actaully cleared and final the total amount shows up.

Id wait till its not pending tho and if it does end up being for more, its an easy matter to fix. Call the credit card company and then call the manager of the restaurant
Old 01-24-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is a preautorization on the credit card, not an issue, when it actually clears the account it'll charge the right amount.

THis is standard in the restuarant game, they take a preautorization for enough to cover the tip, and then the charge actually goes through for the amount you signed for.

Edit: I'm assuming you went to the bar yesterday, and you are viewing your statement online. If this is showing up on your actual billing statement you got through the mail, call your CC company and dispute the charge.

[/ QUOTE ]

This same exact thing happened to my girlfriend and I at a restaurant. I paid the bill on my card and tipped in cash. It showed up as a larger charge on the card than I had authorized. A few days later, the amount revereted to the correct amount. I would wait to check if this is the case before you call the restaurant/credit card company/etc.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:42 PM

Except it's not going to show up as an actual charge because no one is stealing from him. Why are you getting so worked up about this?