Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2007, 05:55 PM

Default Waitress gives herself tip on my Credit card

My friend and I went to a bar and the bill came out to $56.01 and that is what I left as the total amount. I left the tip part of the receipt blank. I paid for the tab on my credit card and we left her 12 bucks cash for a tip. When I checked my bill today I have a charge of $64.41. That is exactly 15% of the original bill. What should I do. Anyone experienced in waiting tables as to why this would happen? Is this just a mistake on their part, plain stealing?, maybe I'm missing something. This girl has waited my table a couple times before and I never noticed anything like this going on. She seems nice and I don't want to get her into trouble, but if she is stealing she deserves to be fired. What is the best course of action?
Old 01-24-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Waitress gives herself tip on my Credit card

Call your credit card company and tell them you were billed more than the charge you authorized.

You say you left the "tip part of the receipt blank" -- did you leave the "Total" line blank too, or did you re-write the $56.01 there?

This sounds like blatant stealing to me. I hope you took the "customer copy" -- if so you'll have a very easy time proving that you did not leave said tip, if the credit card company gets bitchy about it.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:58 PM

It is a preautorization on the credit card, not an issue, when it actually clears the account it'll charge the right amount.

THis is standard in the restuarant game, they take a preautorization for enough to cover the tip, and then the charge actually goes through for the amount you signed for.

Edit: I'm assuming you went to the bar yesterday, and you are viewing your statement online. If this is showing up on your actual billing statement you got through the mail, call your CC company and dispute the charge.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:58 PM

Chalk it up as the expense of a life lesson.

Next time, draw a line through the tip when you are not tipping on your card.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is a preautorization on the credit card, not an issue, when it actually clears the account it'll charge the right amount.

THis is standard in the restuarant game, they take a preautorization for enough to cover the tip, and then the charge actually goes through for the amount you signed for.

[/ QUOTE ]

does this differ from state to state?
Old 01-24-2007, 06:00 PM

First of all, whenever you pay by credit card and don't leave a tip, be sure and cross out the tip line or right N/A

Second, call the credit card company and tell them. The restaurant is suppose to theoretically produce the receipt.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

does this differ from state to state?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually from restuarant to restuarant. I managed a bank for 3 years, and dealt with this complaint daily. Also pay at the pump gas does the same thing, some stations preauthroize a dollar to make sure the card is active, others $100 to make sure you can pay for the gas.

Also see my edit.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Edit: I'm assuming you went to the bar yesterday, and you are viewing your statement online. If this is showing up on your actual billing statement you got through the mail, call your CC company and dispute the charge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. That is probably what happened. It is still a pending charge so hopefully this is the case.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:02 PM

BTW, you should always take the customer copy of the receipt, even if you're going to just throw it out as soon as you get home. Restaurant workers who see that you left the customer copy see this as a green light to attempt to pad the tip. They assume you won't remember or can't prove how much you tipped.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:03 PM

Coming from a restaurant management side, take the evidence in and speak with the manager.

If they tip CC's out like we do, you add the tip to the CC invoice in the computer. It's an easy mistake to accidentally have the wrong invoice #. Also, they might still have the CC in the store, if they haven't sent it in yet. I keep mine for 3 days or so after the end of the week, in case this happens.

Ask to see the CC invoice to see what was written.

It could be that she's stealing - this is one of the ways that a server can steal, and it can be fairly easy to get away with. A lot of people don't pay that much attention. But it could be an honest mistake that maybe even she didn't do. Our servers don't add the tips in the computer, managers do that.

Just go in, be polite, explain the situation, and you'll be able to get a refund, and maybe even a gift card if you're nice about it.

On a side note, for your own protection, ALWAYS fill in the total AND the tip lines, and please, for the sake of the person who puts the tips on the CC, who might be doing it at the end of a busy 12-hour shift, make sure the tip + bill = total.