Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2007, 05:38 AM

Default edges and information

lets say theres some situation in which all in and folding are the only moves (late stage of SNG or whatever).

everyone believes 100% that they know your range for moving in is exactly TT-AA, AK/AQs. since they know your exact strategy, and assuming this isn't the optimal strategy, do they have the edge on you?

now lets say you also move in with 99, but they don't think you do. do you have the edge now?

what if you don't move in with TT as they believe. who has the edge?

do these questions depend on the stack size or any other factors?
Old 01-16-2007, 03:13 PM

Default Re: edges and information

If your opponents know your range and the fact that you are in a fold or shove mode, then you have no fold equity.

Without fold equity, you have lost your edge completely and will only be as successful as the cards you and your opponents get.

You might as well just have your hand dealt face up. So obviously, in such a situation, you need to change things fast if you want to get your edge back.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:23 PM

wtf are you talking about. if i'm moving in TT-AA/AK/AQs, then i have tons of fold equity as when i pick up these hands, its likely that EVERYONE WILL FOLD TO ME PUSH.

i don't think you understand my post.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't think you understand my post.

[/ QUOTE ]
This has a high probability of being correct.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:39 PM

yes, as long as they know to adjust to it.

yes (see next answer)

you do (even with 72o, it's the difference between a strategy with bluffing and one without)

yes it very mutch does, but it's a combination of so many things. This last question need to be more specific to awnser.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:43 PM

Fold equity is the equity of getting an inferior hand (or one with a great deal of pot equity, such as a big draw or two overcards preflop) to fold. AA preflop has virtually no fold equity -- getting QJs to fold isn't beneficial.

You might still push AA for value or to mix up your play and give cover to your push with K9s, which does enjoy fold equity based on getting A5o or 33 to fold.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold equity is the equity of getting an inferior hand (or one with a great deal of pot equity, such as a big draw or two overcards preflop) to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my book it's the equity you gain by another player folding compensated for the chance he'll fold.
You have a certain chance to win the pot if you and all of your opponents in the pot see the river. Now this percentage of the money in the pot 'belongs' to you in the long run. This is your pot equity.
When you bet someone might fold. If he does you gain in pot equity. This gained equity times the chance he folds is your fold equity.

[ QUOTE ]
AA preflop has virtually no fold equity -- getting QJs to fold isn't beneficial.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you read the definition above you'll see that fold equity has nothing to do with your own hand. It's purely determined by the chance your opponent will fold, the reason for his folding does not chance the equity.

If you're favorite to win; fold equity is a bad thing. You want players to stay in there with you and call bets. So +FE can be -EV
Old 01-17-2007, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my book it's the equity you gain by another player folding compensated for the chance he'll fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read and understood your entire post. I think you technically know what fold equity means.

However, I would like to point out that I think fold equity is generally used only in situations where you want a fold. In other words, in situations where your pot equity is less than 50% (i.e. you are behind), you might factor in fold equity such that your overall equity (fold+pot) is now better than 50%, you will want to bet in that situation.

If you want a call (i.e. your pot equity is more than 50%), I don't see how fold equity is a concern.

So in response to OP, I stated he no longer has fold equity which really means fold equity is not a concern for his strategy as he laid it out.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:16 PM

Is that your range for calling all in also? You need to supply stack sizes and number of players. Since this is a tournament you'll also need to give the pay out distribution. The first scenario is easily exploitable.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:26 PM

Well since hero is so tight I'm just pushing every single hand. He'll be folding over 90% of the time. The few times he raises I'll know to fold (depending on stack sizes etc.)unless my cards beat his range.

Messing around with the 99 or TT doesn't matter much.