Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2006, 03:38 PM

Default Re: PPL show

Looks like Liz Lieu's decision to politically align herself with Las Vegas Sands/Venetian paid off.

I was told two week ago by one of the "queens of poker gossip" that she was out, but now I am told by a source much closer to the PPL that Liz Lieu is IN.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am being told that Cyndy Violette is IN, and will be one of the 8 team captains.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to start a list of top 56 men and 8 women? Also would you base it on pure ability or marketabliity?

[/ QUOTE ]

That discussion is completely irrelevant.

The 64 players "chosen" for the PPL were rewarded for their ability to play "the poker game behind the poker game", not for their ability to play "poker the card game".

Again, you are analyzing the PPL project from a "poker player's" perspective, while I am looking at the PPL project from the "entertainment industry observer's" perspective.

Guess what? The PPL is an "entertainment" product, not a "poker" product.

It does NOT matter to the "entertainment industry" that the PPL does not have the "64 best poker players in the world".

The PPL only needs to have "64 of the best poker players in the world".

See the difference?

Old 09-28-2006, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The difference between the top 64 and the 64 that'll actually be on the PPL broadcasts is a large one. When the list comes out on the 7th (or leaked before that), it surely will be cause for much discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. I started my list and I'm sure I'll make changes to it. As I was doing it I was thinking I was basing it on tournament NLHE. But if it's going to be more like a cash game atmosphere then who knows?
Old 09-28-2006, 04:29 PM

One other important industry note:

If anyone was wondering when Las Vegas Sands Corporation would get into the TV poker business, that time has arrived.

LV Sands has tossed its hat into the ring with the PPL TV poker product to compete in the marketplace against Harrah's WSOP (which is allied with ESPN) and MGM Mirage (which is allied with WPTE).
Old 09-28-2006, 04:48 PM

Annie Duke is in?? I didnt think her and DN got along

Evelyn Ng has to be in for sure
Old 09-28-2006, 05:10 PM

I can't believe Daniel is going to bite the hand that feeds him. Doesn't he have any respect at all for the hard work the WPT did to put him on the map? Lyle Berman has kids to feed damnit!
Old 09-28-2006, 07:40 PM

This all just strikes me as a sort of warmed-over Poker Superstars. It's the mix of known pros, unknown pros, and lucky amateurs that makes for really entertaining poker on TV IMO.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This all just strikes me as a sort of warmed-over Poker Superstars. It's the mix of known pros, unknown pros, and lucky amateurs that makes for really entertaining poker on TV IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think of the PPL as the "next generation" invitation-only all-star made-for-TV poker "sports entertainment television" product compared to Poker SuperStars or the PPT, but with Las Vegas Sands (Sheldon Adelson) putting up money to back the project instead of NewsCorp (Rupert Murdoch) or WPTE (Steve Lipscomb/Lyle Berman).

Again, the PPL has already accomplished the objective of killing off the PPT, even before PPL has even filmed one minute of TV.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:28 PM

http://olivertsepoker.com/PPL_PPT.aspx

--

Among those who have been selected to be part of the PPL are 2004 CardPlayer Magazine Player of the Year Daniel Negreanu, 2003 World Poker Tour (WPT) Ladies Night I runner-up Evelyn Ng, and high-stakes cash game "diva" Liz Lieu, according to multiple sources.

However, among the notable players who were not selected for the PPL are 2004 World Series of Poker (WSOP) Main Event World Champion Greg "Fossilman" Raymer and 2005-2006 WPT Season 4 leading female money-earner Kathy Liebert.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i guess if i don't know anything about this that means i didn't make it? what is the criteria?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://olivertsepoker.com/PPL_PPT.aspx

"The PPL will be an invitation-only all-star made-for-television poker series, with all 64 players having been hand-picked by the PPL Selection Committee. These 64 players, many of whom are among the best tournament and cash game poker players in the world, have also demonstrated that they have mastered the art of playing 'the poker game behind the poker game' in order to secure their spots in the PPL. "